Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am considering getting a hunting dog one that is dual purpose. One that can retrieve from water and hunt upland game what is y

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am considering getting a hunting dog one that is dual purpose. One that can retrieve from water and hunt upland game what is y

I am considering getting a hunting dog one that is dual purpose. One that can retrieve from water and hunt upland game what is your idea of the perfect dog for my situation.

Get a Labrador from good hunting stock, perhaps from pointing Lab stock.

Comment

Labrador reriever. Hands down. Overachiever, excellent water dog (obviously), but less obvious is the fact that they are excellent with upland game. My yellow lab, Chester (RIP), was the best duck and dove retriever ever. When we hunted quail, instead of pointing he would "make game," going nuts in little figure eights with his nose on the ground when he smelled a covey. I knew at that point all I had to do was stride forward three or four paces to bust a covey, while he was preoccupied where he initially smelled the covey. Worked every time, and we shot a lot of quail together that way. Best all-purpose dog ever, and a great friend.

Comment

I love Labs. As I get older my dogs get better. A lab will do whatever you want it to do. That's what they do because they just want to please you and be your buddy. Glock is a great dog, but I swear Rudy,RIP, would have fetched whitetails if I asked him to.

Comment

Look in my profile photos and you'll see all the evidence you need to make your decision.

Comment

Get a lab.

Comment

Daggone it WAM is quick on the draw...and right on target

Comment

BTW you way hear that a GSP will hunt upland and water. In my dogs case he has turned out pretty good on upland. If it gets wet I have let him to put on his rubber overboots

Comment

My vote goes to the German Short-haired pointer, which comes equipped with webbed feet for swimming. I have owned and hunted with two of them over the years.
                  They're not as winter-hardy as the Chesapeake Bay retriever, but neither is the Labrador.

Comment

SHAZAM! 99 explorer nailed this spot on! German Short-haired pointer is what you want.

Comment

Black Lab. I'd suggest a female unless you are hunting a LOT of Canadian geese over water, then I would suggest a male. The females seem to have better stamina over the warm days of upland game hunting in rough country but big geese tire them out and can drown them.

Comment

I just attended a Natural Ability Test sponcered by the North American Versitile Hunting Dog Association-NAVHDA. The dogs that did best there were: German Wire Hair Pointer-GWP, German Short haired Pointer-GSP, Griffon-GR.,in that order. I did have a Brittany that was an exceptional dog even in water. But they usually are not a strong water dog. I am speaking only of pointing breeds.

Comment

Well probably a lab from a good hunting stock
                          Or a Golden Retriever, that is what I have and it is great for duck hunting and pheasant and grouse hunting

Comment

If you are going to hunt big Canada geese over water in very cold conditions, you better leave those short haired dawgs at home. The pointers are not that great a swimmer and smaller breeds have a tough time with big geese. A properly conditioned Lab is just as weather resistant as most Chessies. You will also notice a wide range of coat thickness in Labs. The short legged, thin haired dawgs are better left to the Frizbies in the park.....

Comment

Definitely get a lab I prefer chocolate labs.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Court Says.....
                                by jhjimbo
                                Can not restrict concealed carry.
                                Lawyer on TV says Court should look at history and tradition. If we did that we would be burning witches at the...
                                Today, 01:01 PM
                              • Reply to You guys are sleeping
                                by Danbo
                                What? How?
                                Are they not true?

Did I hit a nerve ?

Every thing I said is true. Our criminals have many handguns without...
                                Today, 12:56 PM
                              • You guys are sleeping
                                by fitch270
                                Can’t believe I’m posting this first.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna17721
                                06-23-2022, 11:54 AM
                                by jhjimbo
                                I said a permit could stop someone who should not get one, period. All the other qualifiers you added and really, they sound stupid....
                                Today, 12:30 PM
                                by Danbo
                                The sheriff does it here in NY also but yet the criminals still have any firearms that they wan in NY. Ohio must have no gun violence if you think the...
                                Today, 12:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X