Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can female turkeys fan their tail feathers like jakes and toms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can female turkeys fan their tail feathers like jakes and toms?

Can female turkeys fan their tail feathers like jakes and toms?

Yes they can. I raise turkey and I have had hens that strut and also tried to gobble. I've seen this only in poults though, as I've never seen one of my adults strut or gobble.

Comment

Yes, they can. I take it you've never seen two hens go at it to estab. dominance(pecking order)(LOL).

Comment

Bassboy, I raise turkey bro... You shouldn't be on here posting comments with such confidence when you're entirely incorrect.

Comment

yea, I've seen a few do that when i was hunting. Got me excited untill I got close enough to see that they were hens.

Comment

It's funny how female turkeys more than other species tend to be "tomboys" lol. Beards, strutting, attempting to gobble, etc.

Comment

I've seen them bristle up, but never fan. Definitely believe it's possible though.

Comment

Yes and I have seen them!

Comment

One of my female adult turkey have beards and also spread it's feathers like a male..... I was surprised to see it bend low when she's ready to cross with a male

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad