Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last weekend of the turkey season here in Alabama, and unfortunately my only weekend to hunt them. I'm feeling pretty good about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last weekend of the turkey season here in Alabama, and unfortunately my only weekend to hunt them. I'm feeling pretty good about

Last weekend of the turkey season here in Alabama, and unfortunately my only weekend to hunt them. I'm feeling pretty good about the setup, I built a nice blind, cleared some shooting lanes by a roost. Hopefully I will be able to get my first turkey. I'm using a 20 gauge with #6 shot, and modified choke. I've been testing the pattern on ranges from 20 yards to 40 yards. I've been averaging about 7-9 pellets in the head/neck area for each shot, so I feel pretty comfortable. If you had any experiences or tips to share I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Your set-up sounds fine, The change I would make is the shotload from #6 to a Remington or Winchester Duplex load of 4X6 or 5X7 out of a Mod-Chock, your shot-string is longer out of a 20Ga then a 12Ga...Best of Luck..Good Hunting.

Comment

around where I hunt we can't be sure where the turkeys are going to be so if you know that bird will be there, wow.

I am thinking you want to use a full choke, not modified ... I have never used a 20 guage but I can't think it makes any sense to use modified choke. The birds are hard to kill. When you shoot, get to them fast before they 'get their legs back' and make sure you don't have to finish them off. Wringing the neck, smashing the head, etc, is a good finish.

Comment

i would be more comfortable with more than 7-9 pellets in the kill zone, personally. they don't go down easy.

Comment

Don't know what part of the state you're in, but here in the SW part of the state, the hens are mostly on the nest now. I haven't heard a lot of gobbling in the mornings, but the toms are gobbling more during the day, so you might want to consider a little modified running and gunning instead of limiting yourself to one setup. Those toms are looking for love all day.

I have to agree about the choke. The 20 ga. is fully capable of taking turkeys, but you want to squeeze all the performance out of the gun you can. Are you using heavier than lead shot? They are definitely worth the added expense. Good luck.

Comment

blind and shooting lanes? this isnt deer hunting!!

Comment

Scratchgolf, I'll take up for him on the shooting lanes because in a majority of places down here the understory is so thick with brush, vines and briars, that you need shooting lanes even without the spring greenup, which is near full summertime growth by now. In the early fall, I spend days on my tractor with the bush hog clearing access lanes and shooting lanes in the pine plantations where I hunt. I see in your avatar that there are hardwoods in the background and they provide more open woods than we generally have here. A blind near a roost area isn't a bad way to try for your first turkey---not my preferred way, but I've been after them for more than fifty years.

Comment

i agree with the shooting lanes. you need to do the same in new york because the brush is so thick.

Comment

I really only had the blind as a sort of starting point. I stayed there for awhile, but after I spotted some traveling a fairly open ravine I left the blind. Keeping wind direction in mind I tried to cut them off at another spot. However, I must have not moved fast enough since I got to the cutoff spot just in time to see them far away to my right, leaving my land. Other than that I just got a couple of gobbles. I couldn't hunt today because I'm spending time with the family. I still had a lot fun, though, and it was a great way to spend a Saturday. I'll be working on calling and learning tactics a good bit before the fall season gets here. I also try to get a bit time in the woods when that time of the year rolls around. Until then, however, I will be trying to get some wild boar and some coyotes.

Comment

Also, thanks guys! I really appreciate this community's support.

Comment

country road, that pic was taken in alma MI, in the middle of the state which looks similar to parts of ohio, woodlots and corn fields. most of my turkey hunting takes place in the thick stuff in the southeastern part of the state. yes there are some hardwoods but you rarely find me calling there. for me its either field edges or im down in the nasty crap. its pretty damn gnarly right now with the early green up. however ive never taken a weed whacker and a chainsaw to the turkey woods before.

Comment

Coyote Hunter,
                        Sounds like you need a mentor. Find the best turkey hunter in the county and cut his grass all summer in exchange for a few trips to the turkey woods with him.
                        BTW, What county do you live in????

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• What An Education
                          by jhjimbo
                          Anybody who watched Tucker Carlson tonight got a real education, on several fronts. What do you think?
                          Today, 08:58 PM
                        • Just Right
                          by jhjimbo
                          Has anyone tried the new .31 cal, 30Super Carry. just what the name implies the quintessential between the .30 and the infamous 9mmLuger. Two years in...
                          Today, 08:56 PM
                        • Reply to Just Right
                          by 99explorer
                          Do you have a link for that?
                          I never heard of a cartridge developed for concealed carry.
                          Today, 08:52 PM
                        • Just Right
                          by jhjimbo
                          Has anyone tried the new .31 cal, 30Super Carry. just what the name implies the quintessential between the .30 and the infamous 9mmLuger. Two years...
                          Today, 04:59 PM
                        • Reply to Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                          by labrador12
                          Brandon is the most corrupt President in history. Brandon's crackhead son has been the bagman for his 10%. The Crackhead son who failed to pay millions...
                          Today, 08:25 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X