Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I shot my first gobbler on sunday morning. I was just wondering...how do you measure the beard and spurs? Do you measure the b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I shot my first gobbler on sunday morning. I was just wondering...how do you measure the beard and spurs? Do you measure the b

I shot my first gobbler on sunday morning. I was just wondering...how do you measure the beard and spurs? Do you measure the beard to the longest strand? Also, do you measure the spurs with the curve or do you just measure it straight out? I will post pictures soon. Thanks!

Congratulations on your first gobbler. I don't know about official measurements, but I always measured just like you said on the beard---longest strand. I think you measure the spurs straight. I haven't done any measuring in a while unless the bird was unusually large because like Cuz Strickland said, "They're all trophies."

Comment

Hey Country, I finally got my first one too (of the seasson) Sunday afternoon.

Comment

congratulations, give us the story!

Comment

your first gobbler is always the one you will remember the most! i believe it goes the way country said. that's how i do it. congrats!

Comment

Measure the spurs to the point, ditto Country on the beard. Post a picture and congrats.

Comment

no story? stay tuned to this bat-time and this bat-channel and I will give you my story on my gobbler this spring. this weekend methinks.

Comment

I was waiting for buddyboy to give it up before I did, cause everybody knows the first liar ain't got a chance, but here goes.
                Saw this old boy Saturday morning and had him and two jakes at about 65 yards and wouldn't come a step closer. It was a bad set up on my part but he gobbled the other side of a neck of woods in a powerline right of way and I had to dive off the trail and hide where I was. He walked to where the trail comes into the ROW, strutted and gobbled a time or two and eventually walked off.
                I had my oldest son with me and we slipped up to the ROW and he was standing on a gravel trail on the side of the ROW on the facing hillside. I could tell he was a biggun by Alabama standards and was dangling a rope that you coulda hung Jesse James with. I told Hunter (my oldest son) that I'm gonna kill that turkey. He said you better get about it cause there is not much of the season left.
                We went back to the area Sunday morning and heard nary a gobble, but I managed to run one off that came in silent that I had NO idea was there.
                These turkeys have been hunted hard in the morning and midday so about 4:00 pm, I got in the edge of the ROW close to where we had originally seen him. It was windy as the dickens and I did some very sparing soft calling, clucks and purrs, and some soft yelping.
                This ROW is hilly and there is a winter wheat food plot about 50 yards down from me that's maybe 125 yards long the way I'm facing and has a hen in it. The wheat is about knee high and it is hard to see a full grown turkey in it.
                I had just laid my slate on the ground from the first series and looked to the far end, and standing on a knoll at the end of the food plot is a big gobbler. I yelped and cutt softly and it looked like he gobbled, but with the wind I couldn't hear it. He started down toward me, angling across the food plot to my side of the ROW and I lost sight of him. I made what could have been a rookie mistake and leaned over, very slowly, to see my side of the food plot and did not see him.
                I figured the hen had taken him off so I just chilled for about 5 minutes. I got my can out and put a dip in, picked up my slate and clucked and yelped pretty loud. When I looked up he was standing 30 steps in front of me in the wide open, with my gun laying on the ground beside me. I just let the call and the striker slide between my legs, kept my arm low and got my gun up and shot him.
                I never looked at the beard until I put my foot on his head. It measured 12.5" and according to my Zebco DeLiar scales, he weighed 22.5 lbs. I was somewhat disappoionted with the spurs in that they were only 1" and the other was 1 1/8". My youngest son said I had a lot of nerve being disappointed with anything about that turkey. I tend to agree.
                Judging by the way my turkey season has gone, this was def. a 'Gift From God' turkey, and if you think I won't take gifts, you're wrong.

Comment

good story, I posted mine in the turkey roost section of "message boards"

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to What An Education
                    by 99explorer
                    Could you share a little of that education?
                    Tucker is the talking head at Fox News to mock the J6 committee.
                    Today, 09:20 PM
                  • What An Education
                    by jhjimbo
                    Anybody who watched Tucker Carlson tonight got a real education, on several fronts. What do you think?
                    Today, 08:58 PM
                  • Reply to Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                    by Danbo
                    Fake news....
                    Today, 09:16 PM
                  • Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                    by FirstBubba
                    Number 1 - the committee was SUPPOSED to be composed of 8 (D)'s and 5 (R)'s.
                    Pelosi rejected three of the (R) members and filled the spots with...
                    06-11-2022, 08:51 AM
                  • Just Right
                    by jhjimbo
                    Has anyone tried the new .31 cal, 30Super Carry. just what the name implies the quintessential between the .30 and the infamous 9mmLuger. Two years in...
                    Today, 08:56 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X