Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone help me? I am 15 and want to start hunting in Pennsylvania, but I have no idea where to begin. I have no one to help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone help me? I am 15 and want to start hunting in Pennsylvania, but I have no idea where to begin. I have no one to help

Can someone help me? I am 15 and want to start hunting in Pennsylvania, but I have no idea where to begin. I have no one to help me but you. What should I hunt? What should I use? What do I need? Where should I buy? Please note that whatever gun I would use, would have to be inexpensive to buy, easy to maintain, and safe-ish. Also please specify what type of gun to use and what ammo to use with it. I'm open to anything bigger than a rabbit and smaller than a bear. Thank you.

Wait so yes to rabbit? get a .22 they will take care of coyote too. and crow, squirrel, and a huge variety. Ruger 10/22 is the best in my opinion. Its a semi-auto. If ur a good shot it takes care of a lot more species. The ammos cheap too

Comment

O as far as deer go. Scent eliminators, camo, a nice flat shootin' .243 is my choice. A scope, deer calls maybe. Spend a good amount of time at the range getting the sight picture. aka shot it a lot before u hunt. i'm 14 and thats how i am a better shot then 200 people in my area. shoot shoot shoot.

Comment

Get a shotgun. You can hunt rabbit, squirrels, birds and deer. Start slow. Try a Rem 870 youth model 20 ga.

Comment

I have two nephews one year on either side of 15. We bought each of them a single shot .243 on their 13th birthday. The gun we chose was the CVA Optima Elite. It is rugged, reliable, safe and accurate and in .243 has minimal recoil. It can also be used as a muzzleloader if you chose to buy a barrel for that type of shooting later. Also, you can buy centerfire barrels in larger calibers as you get older and want to hunt different types of game that need a larger caliber weapon. It is a lot of gun for the money and should, with proper care, last you a lifetime of hunting. There are other good choices out there and I'm sure the rest of the crowd will chime in with their favorites.
          Good luck out there and be safe! I had to find my own way into hunting too and will always be willing to help as you have more questions.
          Check the regulations for the game you are looking to hunt. You should find out if PA allows centerfire rifles and if they allow in line muzzleloaders. The DOW or DNR will have a website with all the rules. Someone who knows is bound to answer those questions here.

Comment

Get in a hunter safety class first. Your state fish and game prople can hook you up or try Cabela's. They have a store in Pa. Jim and chuckles gave good advice on guns but I tend to go with the 20 guage. A Mossberg youth model will do it all from rabbits to deer at a low price and you won't need to buy extra barrels except maybe a slug barrel.

Comment

I would go with the guys recommending a shotgun. It is a pretty multi-purpose tool and the slugs now days provide pretty good speed and accuracy for hunting in the woods. I would get a 3" 12 guage myself and for now you can shoot 2 3/4" shells. They don't have so much recoil for starters and yet are pretty deadly on all birds, rabbits, deer, etc. I would strongly consider a .22 also if you aren't going deer hunting. You get lots of good plinking time and the ammo is cheap so you will get to use it more. You will have many hours of great hunting with either of these. A word of caution though... take the hunter safety class... you need to know in no uncertain terms that each of these is a deadly weapon that could cause fatal injuries if not treated with the utmost of respect. It is a fun class and with deadly weapons, you often don't get a second chance. Have fun and above all be safe.

Comment

I couldn't agree more with Del about the hunter safety class. You need to start there. It will help you learn the basics of hunting, ethics, and most importantly the laws in your area and safety. I also think that either a .22 or an 870 Remington would be ideal purchaces for starting out. Talk to kids at school, and see if any friends are interested in hunting as well. If you can find someone that you trust that hunts, ask them if you can come along one time and work from there.

Comment

Whoa, slow down young man. So many questions(very good).Now first things first, get the safty course under your belt. Now let's move on. As for a weapon(gun) I'd get somthing like a single-shot 20ga. shotgun (H&R makes a good cheap one,easy to clean). You would be able to take all kinds of game with it. Everything from Squirrels to Bears(if you wanted) you'd also be able to take all kinds of birds too. Ammo would depend on the animals your hunting.
                  You'd need some camo clothes(Army/Navy surplus would be cheap to start).Call some gun ranges in your area to help(hands on).Good Luck,Good Hunting & Welcome to the "family"

Comment

zzi would agree on the hunters ed course, you need to learn the basics first. Then after you have a gun, I would get a shotgun as said above, I would find a gun range. Once you get there ask some qusetions, don't be scared to ask most people are more than willing to help a young man/woman that is getting started and they won't make you feel like a dummy. You need to get all the experience you can at the range before you head out hunting. And you never know some of those people at the range just might invite you to go hunting with them, just show them respect.

Comment

Pascal,
                      I appreciate your quest for good information and I encourage you to pursue it. You've asked good questions. I wish there was a single answer to a few of your questions, but there are a great many choices and it can be confusing. We've all had to start somewhere, so we'll try to give you good information.
                      Most shooters will be more than willing to discuss the topic with you, because we're always pleased to see someone properly trained and equipped.
                      I'd guess most of us got started with a .22 rimfire rifle. Do you currently own a .22?

Comment

No. I own no firearms.

Comment

i would start by just buying a .22 and a 20 gauge shotgun. you can spend 100-150 bucks on a great Marlin Model 60 22 LR. Remington 870, Benelli Nova.

Comment

You need a mentor. Does anyone you know hunt and/or shoot? You need to take a hunter safety course. maybe buy a bb gun to practice gun handling, shooting, etc. Please be careful!

Comment

N ot the Rufer 10/22 in PA. You need a manually operated rifle to hunt. Go with a bolt action or a pump. I agree,, you need a mentor as well as a hunter education class.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad