Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I go with a Remington 870 or a Mossberg? Or should I stop being cheap and save up for a benelli or higher priced gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I go with a Remington 870 or a Mossberg? Or should I stop being cheap and save up for a benelli or higher priced gun?

Should I go with a Remington 870 or a Mossberg? Or should I stop being cheap and save up for a benelli or higher priced gun?

I would like to be able to use the gun for turkey mostly but also would like to have the option of hunting ducks, doves, and maybe quail...

Comment

Save for a Benelli. You will be glad you did. Get the 26 inch barrel. If you don't need 3 1/2 inch magnum power go fo the 3 inch gun.

Comment

An 870 is a great gun. But, I love autoloaders look at the Remington 1100 and 11-87. I have a 11-87 Sportsman and I love it.

Comment

I've owned both, and they both performed just fine. I would go to the gun store and see which one appeals to you the most and fits the best.

Comment

It depends on what you want. If it's pump gun you desire the 870 is hard to beat. For a little more economy the Mossberg is a tuff customer. As for the semi autos the Benelli stands at the top. If your bank account won't with stand the outlay for the Benelli in any of its renditions there is a cheaper alternative.

Stoeger (owned by Beretta as is Benelli) markets the Model 2000. It utilizes the same inertia action as the Benelli (on license) with a different spring system. I bought one for an incredible price a couple of years back at a Bass Pro Dove Season sale. I'm glad I did.

I purchased the gun because of the price and I was looking for an economical back up/loaner shotgun. I couldn't be more pleased. It is chambered for 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells and will feed any load 1 1/8 oz and up flawlessly. It came with 5 choke tubes, including a turkey tube. They come in synthetic, cammo and walnut. Mine is the black synthetic. I've used it for Dove, Duck and Goose hunting. It is my loaner gun and I've had several folks try and buy it from me after shooting it.

Comment

I have all three. Out of those two I perfered the 870, although I have friend that love their Mossberg. So really what you need to do is go to the store and find out which out which one fills better to you. Find a gun store that will let you shoot the gun. I dont know how it is in Flordia, but there are a few stores that let you shoot before you buy here in Texas.

Comment

If you are looking for a pump gun then I would save up for the Benelli Super Nova. That gun is easy to clean, has a soft recoil, can handel 2 3/4 to 3 1/2, and it can withstand anything you will encounter in the field.

Comment

If your going to just get a pump, why spend more money on the benalli wheen the 870 or the mossberg will get the job done for you. Put that money you save towards another piece of hunting equipment.

Comment

I'm biased against autoloaders. I hunt deer in shotgun-only territory I have heard too many jamming horror stories.

I love the 870's. I use mine for Deer, Turkey, clays, Pheasants, and waterfowl. Tons of accessories available, easy to tear down, about as tough as an abrams tank and like Mike Diehl once said about 30-06's:

They aren't the best at anything, but they are damn good at everything.

Comment

I own both an 870 and a 500 and both are great guns, but I do perfer my 870 it just seems to feel put together a little better. If I were you I would go and hold them both and see what you like better.

Comment

I have owned my 500 for 5 years now and love it. I use it to hunt anything that moves and clay pigeons. It is a great all around gun I think. I have fallin in love with pump and can not justify spending alot of money right now when the 500 still shoots on target.

Comment

You can't go wrong with any of those. It wouldn't hurt to save up for a Nova or Supernova.

The Stoeger 350 pump is practically a Nova, is cheaper, and Phil Bourjaily reviewed it very favorably.

The advice that you should go handle them all is good. You might like the cheaper ones more than the more expensive ones after trying them.

Comment

i my 870 wingmaster but i have to say novas are great guns so i geuss it comes down to the money factor i'd go with an exspress or a wingmaster go to a gun store that lets you shoot the guns decied that way

Comment

I swear by my 870. Even more so now that I ordered and installed the new stock and fore end. I got the thumbhole stock and fore end that was released on the new turkey gun from Remington and it made a BIG difference in the way it shoulders.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad