Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to start hunting. Can you help me? I am 15 in Pennsylvania, with about $200 to spend on a gun or bow. Should I use a bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to start hunting. Can you help me? I am 15 in Pennsylvania, with about $200 to spend on a gun or bow. Should I use a bow?

I want to start hunting. Can you help me? I am 15 in Pennsylvania, with about $200 to spend on a gun or bow. Should I use a bow? What brand? What should I hunt? Should I use a 20 gauge or a .243 rifle? What brand?

IM sorry man there is practicly nothing you can buy butmy cousin bought a 45 pound bow for about $120.

Comment

Do you have someone to teach you or take you to practise and hunt.

Comment

Here are some links to some affordable guns. They are all solid firearms. These are just what I could find on the internet.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=106819

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=84561

http://www.commandsurplus.com/product_info.php?products_id=99800&cPath=7255

These are just 20 gauge slug guns. Some of them need a scope, and that costs extra, but there is one with Iron sights that is ready to go. I found some Handi Rifles in .243, but they were out of stock. Google them and see if you can find any in stock.

Save up some money and check out the Marlin XS7 bolt rifle, H&R Handi Rifles, and H&R or NEF shotguns. They make single shot shotguns and rifles, and a very affordable pump shotgun.

Comment

You should try to get your hands on a rifle, a .243 is ideal. After you become a good hunter, you should move on to bowhunting. Good Luck.

Comment

Welcome Young Man, the first lesson in Sportsmen is patients. As patients as holding that fishing rod watching the slightest movement in that bobber to remaining still and aware in that tree stand, you must learn how to save up your money and use it wisely.

Your 15 years old and you need to be looking at what you’re going to be doing in the future. By your question you’re not the average “knock’em down John” type Sportsman. Instead you need to set yourself up not just on this year’s hunt but future hunts.

$200.00 is just enough for a scope, mounts and rings or a 30-30 lever action which is “NOT PUNK” for your neck of the woods. However!!! If I was you, I would save up the cash around $800.00 to buy a excellent named brand bow you can be proud of and have the confidence and ability to achieve getting that Monster Buck you always been dreaming of. I can confidently hit my wallet out to 50 yards with my bow. Actually I prefer Archery over rifle at times when hunting area closed for firearms but open for Archery. You will find these are the areas having the best deer hunting and low hunting pressure while firearm season is open.
            As far as cartridge choice? 243 is a mighty fine cartridge and if you reload you can neck down and trim to length 308 Military Match brass to 243. My favorite choice is the 25-06 having longer range, better wind bucking ability, can be used for Elk and doesn’t have a lot of recoil which my 9 year old Grandson loves. Also 270 and 30-06 can be necked down and trim to length to make 25-06 so there’s an advantage here too! I use 30-06 Lake City Match to make my 25-06’s.

Bottom line?

Patients Young Man, Patients!

Waiting to get what you want is like passing all those tempting shots on 3x3’s and 4x4’s until the Granddaddy of all steps out. Now if you knew the Granddaddy of all was out there, you wouldn’t settle for less right?! Then don’t settle for less on equipment ether!

Comment

If you're going to spring for a bolt gun, get the Marlin XS7. You can get it for less than the Mossberg rifles (barely over 300), and it shoots better. For even less, you can get the XL7 in .25-06.

Comment

Full respect, pascal! you sound like a guy with a good head on his shoulders. Unfortunately, Clay is right that you maybe should wait a bit more and save so you can buy a quality outfit, be it gun or bow. There are some options out there in terms of youth combos that include both 20 ga. and .243 centerfire barrels. Check out NEF and H&R. Also carefully research the laws in PA so you buy a gun/combo that you will be able to hunt with.
                A 20 ga that can be used for both small game and slugs might be a good option. You will be somewhat restricted in range but that might not be a bad thing for a beginner. If you can tell people more about the conditions in the areas you are likely to be able to hunt the people here with years more experience (than I have) can give you more detailed recommendations. Good hunting and don't forget to share photos of your successes.

Comment

Welcome to "our" world pascal, I'd recomend the 20ga. simply because you can hunt multi. types of animals(birds,deer,turkey even bears). Something these guys are forgetting is that the only diff. between a "new" gun and a "used"(good cond.)is one round through the tube. You can get used a LOT cheaper. Find a GOOD gun shop where you live(you can post a city/state and I'm sure one of us that lives in your area can help)you find a couple that they use/trust to help get you started. Make sure your responsible adult keeps the weapon locked up, until range time /season Good luck and good hunting ! Agin WELCOME !!!

Comment

Welcome to the woods my friend. I can well relate to your situation. You have seen some good advice here but I think first you need to decide on what you want to do with it. If you and your buddies want to do deer season together and you want to plink targets and woodchucks, then a rifle would be better than a bow. If you want guality time alone in the woods, observing wildlife, getting closer to God and want a shot at an adrenelin rush that might just explode your heart, then a bow would be better than a rifle. If you want to hunt upland game, and birds, a shotgun would be better than either of those. Also, consider whether you have family or friends that would loan you a weapon for a special once a year hunt while you get started with what you will use the most. $200 will be enough to get you started but you can't have champaign taste on a beer budget. For archery, consider getting a used bow at a pawn shop, Craig's list or a garage sale. I picked up two nice compound bows last year for $25 each... they each came with sight, string, arrows, quiver, arrow rest, case, etc. I took one out and got two whitetails with it (but at $4.00 a gallon, the gas to get to the woods cost me $50 round trip). The $800 bows have some advantages: they will require less practice and they will give you better range but both of my $25 bows kill deer just as dead and they are accurate enough to hit quarters at 25 yards. For rifles, you might consider starting with a military rifle that you can get a good deal on. You might even be able to pick up a regular used sporting rifle for the range you are seeking. My niece has shot about a dozen whitetails with her SKS that she picked up for $80. When I was your age, I picked picked up a scoped, sporterized Mauser 98 and I still shoot it today. It has been a fantastic hunting rifle and over the years I have added barrel, scope and stock upgrades at a reasonable price; it is a long range tactical rifle now that can't be beat for anything under $3,000. For rifles or shotguns watch the pawn shops, and keep an eye on gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com. I looked for a sporterized bolt rifle in a smaller caliber and found one in 25-06 that I got for peanuts. Don't worry if it is beer and not champaign for now... you can upgrade it later or trade it when you have more money. The used gun market is good right now... lots of unemployed people are dumping their guns for $$$. It may be even be worth the journey to a large city where there are many pawn shops and many unemployed people. You might find a Remington 870 or 1100 for $200... I bought one of each for that price. I suspect you see the common thread here... when starting out on a limited budget, don't even think "full retail price". Best of luck to you and above all be safe!

Comment

well u should just get the essentoials for now. after you take the safty cousre you xcould buy a cheap used rifle or bow, but if i were you i would get a recurve bow cause they are funner, usually cheaper, and requiere less care. then you have to buy your licence and orange clothing and if you have any mony left maby buy a grunt call or something

Comment

well you should get a rifle.not a mosseberg cuz they blow up.dont get a shotgun because they only shoot so far. rifles shoot miles.bows are ok though they are only good for bow hunting and they are hard to master but when you do it will pay off. if you have 200 bucks and want a chep buy then go to the nearest gun store or amazon.com NOT EBAY ebay give you pictures not items.by the way you dont need a licence unless your hunting on public property.and orange clothing is cheap plus you dont have to wear much just a hat or something.

Comment

Agreed with steve182 answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad