Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does anyone out there have a special bullett that you would recomend for turkey hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone out there have a special bullett that you would recomend for turkey hunting?

does anyone out there have a special bullett that you would recomend for turkey hunting?

Most hunters use a shotgun, hence shotshells.

I use 3 inch #4 turkey magnum shells.

Comment

Bobby,

I many states "bullets", center fire and rimfire are mot legal for turkey. Check your regs to make sure before hunting with a rifle or handgun.

Shotshells are the typical ammo for turkey hunting. Typical turkey loads contain either number 4,5 or 6 shot. They come in lengths from 2 3/4 to 3.5 inches. Be sure of your chambering before purchasing and shooting any turkey load. You will need to experiment and pattern several different loads before you find a combo that works best in your shotgun.

If it is legal to hunt Turkey with rifles wher you live I would choose a small bore centerfire like a .222, .223 or even a .22/250. Head shots are in order and any "bullet" except non expanding will work.

Comment

I use 3.5" #5 shot magnum shotshells.

Comment

To answer your question...

If rifles are legal for turkeys where you live, any bullet that was designed for varmints would be excellent.

Comment

Winchester Supreme 3" 2oz #5's

Comment

Most any modern Turkey Shot Shell load from the Major Manufacturers will work just fine. Some may gain you a little in range with different shot and wad materials, but all will close the deal if you are in range and do your part with shot placement. Always a good idea to pattern your loads to see where your center of shot is at various ranges prior to hunting. Some loads may shoot higher, lower, left, or right from others.

Comment

number four shot

Comment

Some states allow rifles and if you live and one of these states I'd go with someyhing small,.222,.223 but if your using a shot-gun my personal preference is the Duplex rounds that Remmington used to make(2x4or2x6 shot)in 3in. size. Hope this helps, good luck !

Comment

Winchester Supreme's, 3" or 3.5", no. 4's or no.5's

Comment

Bullet is a sever misnomer. Shotshell is the appropriate term, as rifles are not legal in any of the 50 states for turkey hunting. Remington Nitro Turkey 12 gauge shells in 3" or 3.5" with 5 shot are my personal preference.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad