Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you prefer a slate call, a mouth call, or a box call for turkey.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you prefer a slate call, a mouth call, or a box call for turkey.

What would you prefer a slate call, a mouth call, or a box call for turkey.

I will use all three. I like glass type friction calls and I love box calls. I use a mouth call for cutting and for instances where movement or the lack there of is critical.

Comment

a mouth call

Comment

It's a personal preference. But, Beekeeper is right... Diaphragms are the only way to go when the birds within sight and closing in.

Comment

I use a HS Black widow double glass call and a few mouth calls. But I use them within conjunction to sound like more than one turkey.

Comment

I use a mouth call. They free up all of your hands. They are also useful when you are walking. Box calls have really good sounds. Slate calls are goo for bow hunters who need one hand to hold the bow and another for calling. Primos has a slate call that has an elatstic band that goes around your leg.

Comment

I used to use box calls and striker calls but now I only use mouth diaphram calls. It is just so much easier and I've gotten pretty good.

Comment

I like the ease of use of box calls.

Comment

I personly like the box call the best.

Comment

I use a box for range until they get close, then switch to mouth diaphragm for stealth.

Watch for Del to come on here and tell you the same thing. Listen to us. We're geniuses.

Comment

Box call

Comment

Mouth call, when a bird is coming in you can't be fiddleing with your hands, putting a call down picking your gun up, you need to stay still.

Comment

Mouth, slate, box in that order.

Comment

Like a beautiful wood gun stock, I love to look at, feel, and use a well made box call. Really wish they wouldn't put so darn much writing all over the wood. I think friction call are easier to use. Mouth calls sound the best to me ... at least from someone that it good at using one (I am just learning, myself).

Comment

As far as Shane goes I don't know the man and do not claim to be a genius.
                              My favorite is a lynch foolproof box call. It has just the right tone. I tried several to get the one that sounds best to me. Today I tried 5 different calls while working a longbeard for my friend to shoot(2 boxes, mouth, slate and glass. The only call that got an answer was old faithfull. When birds are close I stop calling and use a mouth call if needed to get a bird to raise his head for the shot. Oh and I like beautiful wood also.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                jimbo don't like me. LOL! 😉! I caught him and called his hand....
                                Today, 07:26 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by FirstBubba
                                Talk about caught twixt a rock and a hard spot!
                                Never did like Graham. He just looks cheesy to me.

Did appreciate what Graham did for...
                                Today, 07:18 PM
                              • More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by crm3006
                                Wow: Lindsey Graham Refuses to Issue Big Tech Subpoenas

Un-be-lievable.

Lindsey Graham swore up and down that he would
                                Today, 05:22 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                I have blocked several that do not post anything worth reading, off topic wrong information, or pivoting on a thread.
                                The site is much more enjoyable...
                                Today, 07:02 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X