Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today was my first turkey hunt ever, and it was a blast! I saw the biggest turkey of my life today, but he stayed at about 100 y

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today was my first turkey hunt ever, and it was a blast! I saw the biggest turkey of my life today, but he stayed at about 100 y

Today was my first turkey hunt ever, and it was a blast! I saw the biggest turkey of my life today, but he stayed at about 100 yds with the ladies. I don't think any calling could have ever drug him away from those hens. Tried talkin to the hens too, but nobody cooperated. Tips, anybody?

Stay after him later. Hopefully, by mid-morning most of those hens will leave him to go nest. If you stay put, he very well may come back around, if you follow him until the girls exit, you may be able to coax him in. I've got an old boss gobbler on my hunting ground that's really hard to trick, but I'm gonna try a Bmobile gobbler decoy this spring and see if I can rile him up that way.

Comment

I had the same situation on saturday and belly crawled 200 yards through a rye grass field and shot a gobbler with a 10" beard.

Comment

I'd wait him out, like jbird said, for the hens to nest down. I'll bet 99 out 100 times you won't be able to pull him away from those hens. But he will remember and probably come back to search for the hen the was calling him. Or if your short on hunting time, follow the low ground get up ahead of the flock and cut them off. I wouldn't call though, it might send then hens in the other direction.

Comment

30-06? just kiding!

Comment

try sneaking up on him i have done that severl times its not easy but it is doable

Comment

The same thing happened to me saturday except he was about 150 yards away.

Comment

I like willkillsdeer idea the best. Don't have to wait for the hens to nest. Don't have to get all dirty and sweaty while ur crawlin'. In all seriousness I agree with wallofsam. Cut them off if u can. I've tried everything when they're hened up. For the most part, don't waste your time calling him away. I hunt all public land here in Md. and hened up gobblers are the norm. With all the pressure, by the time you find them, they're already hened up. Good Luck, I guess it depends upon how hard u want to work for your longbeard.

Comment

Agreed with jbird answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad