Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone call, then stalk Turkeys in the National Forest? I have had mixed results trying to call in these smart public land Toms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sledneck7
    replied
    Stalking can be very dangerous, but very useful. My technique is to call then put myself in the path of wich he will probably travel. IT amy take a few calls to see where he is going to, but once you get the general direction, circle around and set up in his path. Always move with caution.

Leave a comment:

• jbird
    replied
    Yeah, Idaho, most of the public land I've hunted in MO has been crowded, and stalkin is pretty dangerous. Love doin' it on private groung tho.

Leave a comment:

• idahooutdoors
    replied
    I can see where you would run into problems in areas of high hunter density. The areas I hunt in, you rarely see anyone else out there. I am pretty good at telling the difference between the calls of a real turkey and a hunter, but I always proceed with caution. Good safety tips though, being spoiled with the huge amount of public ground in my area, I forget about what hunters in other states have to deal with.

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    I started stalking birds a few years ago with archery equipment. It's a blast. I hunt my own land so it's a little safer than public land. I can't imagine anything more difficult but it's a lot of fun. I've backed off the weight of my bow to 55 pounds so I can hold it back for several minutes if I have to.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    Indeed this is a good way to get oneself shot. A local hunter was shot not too long ago when a hunter stalked in on him while he was calling, with decoys. The caller (shootee) lost his arm. The stalker (shooter) lost his hunting priveledges for several years. He probably gets very few invitations to hunt as well.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    I've had some Daniel Boone types put the stalk on me several times in the Nat Forest, the latest was this past weekend. Why someone would crawl up on a guy sounding like a hen I don't know.

I even had a schmuck crawl up on me and shoot one of two birds I had called in. He shot a two year old bird with a pencil beard that was twenty yards in front of me. I was waiting for a really big dominant tom following about 30 yards behind the 2 year old to get into gun range. The guy didn't know I was there. When I yelled at him he grabbed the bird and ran!

You never know when someone might be working the gobbling bird. If you crawl up and shoot at the wrong angle bad things could happen.

Here are a few hints at being successful at Nat Forest gobblers.

1. Don't follow roads or paths that other hunters use and call from. The birds seldom will come to a spot from which they are repeatedly called to.

(1A. Don't use locator calls on public land, they are used to oblivion by most hunters and the birds turn a deaf ear to them or soon come to recognize them as a danger. Ever hear a peacock in the wild? One of the coyote's favorite foods is turkey...)

2. Use different call types than the other hunters. This is one main rason I use wing bones, tube calls and trumpet calls on forest service land. The birds don't hear them much.

3. Call softly and sparingly. Lound, boisterous calling and cutting usually is a last resort tactic on public birds.

4. Scratch in the leaves in a 1,2,3 type cadence when a gobbler answers but seems hesitant. Don't call!Another way to use this tactic is to use a wing (see the turkey wing call at the bottom of the page) to simulate a flydown after dawn if you hear a bird gobble on the roost. Don't do a fly down cackle! Just scratch in the leaves...1,2,3 - 1,2,3 after your flydown rendition.

5. The soft cluck and purr, has killed more public birds than all that cutting and yelping put together.

Leave a comment:

• rezavoirdog
    replied
    I don't think I would try to put a stalk on a turkey, especially in a National Forest (read: Public Land=other hunters an almost guaranteed possibility). I would use locator calls (crow, woodpecker, coyote, owl-early dawn) to get them to shock gobble (all you need is one good one), then get in to a position to start your hen/challenge calls and wait him out (some public land toms will come in silent!) for that shot!

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    Doing that is very dangerous. You may very well get shot by another hunter. Some years ago a soldier was crawling up on a flock of turkeys and another hunter behind him put a load of 6's in his back at FT Wood MO.

Leave a comment:

• Anyone call, then stalk Turkeys in the National Forest? I have had mixed results trying to call in these smart public land Toms

Anyone call, then stalk Turkeys in the National Forest? I have had mixed results trying to call in these smart public land Toms, they seem to be a lot more call shy than birds on private ground. While they usually will gobble back, they don't like to come in to calls, so I have started using the calls to locate, then I sniper in on them. Hard to get into range, but have had some luck and fun hunting this way.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad