Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hey guys, just got back from turkey huntin. i'm a little embarassed to say, but i missed a small jake. i was walkin out to get s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey guys, just got back from turkey huntin. i'm a little embarassed to say, but i missed a small jake. i was walkin out to get s

hey guys, just got back from turkey huntin. i'm a little embarassed to say, but i missed a small jake. i was walkin out to get set up and saw a turkey headin the way i was walking, so i got out of the turkeys sight and hustled up to the side of a hill. the turkey woulda been walkin right to me. i waited about a half an hour and i was like dang where's the turkey? and i figured it had saw me and went the other way. so i walked up to the top of that hill and there he was, 30 yards away. i took a shot, missed, and gone the jake was. i need to be more patient.

You just learned a very important lesson. Sit and sit some more!

Comment

Did you try Calling to him?

Comment

Walking around in the woods taking shots is how you accidently shoot decoys and and other hunters. Listen to Beekeeper he is giving you good advice. When the shot comes keep your cheek on the stock, aim at the waddles. If you try to see the results of the shot you will invariably shoot high. Jakes don't usually travel alone are you sure it wasn't a hen? Can't remember the last time I saw a lone jake. They run with other jakes most of the time.

Comment

actually i'm hunting on my own private land, i'm the only person out there. and i was heading out to my set up, it's just some camo burlap between two trees and i sit behind it. theres a road about 100 yards from where the jake was at and after i took my shot i saw a couple other turkeys, i couldn't make out the gender. i'm sure it was a jake, the head was red but it wasn't a tom. yes in fact i was calling him, he wasn't answering..the wind wasn't in my favor either.

Comment

sit under a tree where he cant see you, and try to call him over to you. you need to listen to see if you hear something. if you do call him, But even if you dont think hes there still try calling him.

Comment

That's what turkey hunting is all about. You can learn a lot from a good miss. Next time out you'll know better. Good luck the rest of the season.

Comment

I hate to brag, but I just got back from turkey hunting and dumped two nice toms, one with a 6.5 inch beard and one with a 10 inch beard. On second thought, I do like to brag.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad