Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am a new hunter and am looking for a shotgun that will allow me to hunt turkey, dove and shoot skeet. Can you get all this in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am a new hunter and am looking for a shotgun that will allow me to hunt turkey, dove and shoot skeet. Can you get all this in

I am a new hunter and am looking for a shotgun that will allow me to hunt turkey, dove and shoot skeet. Can you get all this in one? If so which one?

Certainly, If you are budget minded might I suggest the Mossberg 500 pump or 930 auto loader. The Remington 870 pump is also an excellent choice.

Another semi auto to look at on the bargain side is the Stoeger 2000. It comes with 5 choke tubes including a turkey tube. It works on the inertia action like the Benelli.

On the upper end the sky is the limit. Beretta and Benelli can fill most any void, just depends on how much cash you have in your pocket!

Comment

An Over/Under sounds like a good gun for your needs. Unfortunately most are a bit pricey.

Comment

I would buy a good pump. Pumps are cheaper than semi-autos, and less prone to malfunction. The Remington 870 would be a great choice, also look at the Benelli Nova. Buy a turkey choke for whatever you get, and you are in business.

Many people have had great experiences with them, but I am leary of "bargin" autos. I prefer a gun that I know is going to function when I want it too.

Comment

benelli makes very nice shotguns. i would look into a benelli supernova

Comment

The above post are all good guns, The thing to look into is shop around, hold them, and talk to someone who has these gun. Get the gun that works for you because you are the one shooting and hunting with it, and remember it's not the brand or the price of the gun that makes the kill. I say go with the Rem. 870 I have two and never had a problem with them, just oil and clean and they will pay you back with some great experiences.

Comment

All the above is good advice but you don't see many pumps on the skeet range. Those doubles come mighty fast to be working a pump. Mossberg probably makes the best entry level over and under. After that Beretta and Browning make nice guns for more $. I have owned and shot both. And of couse there is the Rem 1100, Benelli and Baretta semi-autos all get the job done. Stoeger sounds like a good deal.

Comment

I am looking for a gun just like that to, and I came up with a .410 .

Comment

i wouldnt go with a 410, a 20 gauge, or 16 gauge would be better

Comment

mossberg 500 pump,rem 870pump,rem1100 auto,stoeger condor o/u,stoeger 2000 auto

Comment

I have read that a shorter barrel (21-24") is ideal for turkey. Others have suggested a 28" barrel for skeet. The comment about the pump at skeet events is helpful. Any thoughts on the new stocks that Remington has? What about recoil?

Comment

id say get a benelli 20 gauge

Comment

If you don't want to spend a whole lot of money try the Remington 1100 or 11-87. Both point great with a 26 inch barrel and changeable choke tubes make these guns very acceptable for your criteria. Even older Rem 1100s with fixed chokes allow for the use of an extra barrel with a different choke constriction and length if you prefer.

Comment

20 gauge is the way to go if you want an all in one except for me it doesn't get the job done as well as I'd wish for waterfowl and don't let anyone tell you differently that it won't kill a turkey at 30 yards I dropped one in it's tracks last fall.

Comment

It's all about the $! As you have read above, your only limited by your budget. As for caliber, I'd stick w/ a 12 or @ least a 20 guage.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad