Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I NEED HELP! I am excited for turkey season but i have three mouth calls, a short spur, a short beard, and a long beard.I know o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I NEED HELP! I am excited for turkey season but i have three mouth calls, a short spur, a short beard, and a long beard.I know o

I NEED HELP! I am excited for turkey season but i have three mouth calls, a short spur, a short beard, and a long beard.I know of some good farmland but dont have permission to hunt it. I also cannot afford decoys, what can i do?

First, Ask permission! Second, look for some public land near the farmland. Third, lots of Turkeys have been killed without decoys. It helps if you hunt with a partner. While he calls, you should be between him and the birds ,well camoflaged, so the caller lures the birds past you. Good luck

Comment

agreed steve. but really Web, you can find some pretty good cheap little turkey decoys at walmart for about 6 bucks. i use cheap ones, and they work fine! make sure to ask for permission. you should go ask the people about 2 weeks ahead of time, and inform them of when the season opens. it's always better to ask early. i know this from experience.

Comment

Find a place to hunt. There is nothing wrong with public land. Then practice with the calls. Perfection is not that important, consistancy and confidence are, with confidence being the MOST important. As for decoys, I own one and have never set it up. Just doesn't fit my run-n-gun style. If you do get permission to hunt the farmland, make sure and leave it better than you found it. Pick up some trash or something. Also, if you are successful, offer to share the meat off the bird, it could be the key to getting invited back!

Comment

Ask permission! If you don't get it, go public. Bring some pruning shears w/u and trim branches/saplings, brush yourself in. With really good camo you can get by w/o decoys. Practice w/ your calls. Good luck

Comment

All these guys make great points, and getting permission should always be #1 priority. Otherwise it makes a bad name for all sportsman. I would also do some morning scouting, find the fields with birds in them. If you don't have any luck with the first farm, don't quit. Alot of farmers think turkeys do alot of crop damage so they might be eager to let someone in there to take a few out of the population. Good Luck!

Comment

Ask permission of the farmer or get out and scout public land.

Comment

Agreed with steve182 answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad