Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I feel like this is the dumbest question ever, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. I've never turkey hunted before, and all I have is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel like this is the dumbest question ever, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. I've never turkey hunted before, and all I have is

I feel like this is the dumbest question ever, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. I've never turkey hunted before, and all I have is a 3" 12 gauge with a modified choke. I have the opportunity to turkey hunt this weekend with a friend, and he told me not to worry about buying a new choke because he would call them in close enough to kill with a modified. Due to school responsibilities, I haven't had time to find out how far "close enough" is. Can anybody help me out with this one? I would just go get a new choke, but I just don't have the time to buy one and test it out before saturday. Will I be okay with the modified or not?

It should work, just get em in close. Then when you get a chance buy a full or extra full choke. Better yet, order one from Cabelas or Bass Pro and have them ship it 3 day mail. Then you'll have no worries.

Comment

You'll kill them if you keep your shots under 30 yards.

Comment

While you are still using the modified choke, stick to smaller shot sizes to keep the shot count up. I would use 6. 7 1/2 would work too. When you get your turkey choke, use 5s.

Comment

I'd use 6s but other than other than that Shane's advice is good. 30 yards or so, then order one like Wallofsam

Comment

no one that i know use's any choke at all get'm close eoungh and they'll die (20 yards or so)

Comment

30-35 should do you just fine, and I agree with going for size 6 shot, at that range size 6 has plenty of penetrating ability.

Comment

You didn't say what ammo you are using but if you will get some of those new high density loads from Federal they will reach a long way. Number 6 has always worked well for me just aim at the place where skin meets feathers on his neck. Try not to hit the breast (best meat). With this or another brand of high density shot you should be deadly out to 35-40 yds. My SBE with Turkey tube reaches well beyond that. That ammo is expensive but 1 box will last a couple years.

Comment

35 yards max range for your 3in 6 shot.

Comment

I dont have ammo yet, but it seems like 6 is the general consensus. Thanks for the input.

Comment

I agree w/buckhunter, 35 yds, no. 6's. good luck

Comment

I shot my first turkey with a Modifed choked 12 gauge and a short magnum 1 1/2 ounce load of 5s at 35 yards. Inside 30 yards you shouldn't have any trouble. If you want the tightest pattern possible from that choke, shoot one of the premium non-toxic tungsten-iron loads like Hevi 13 or Federal Heavyweight.

Comment

it should work but I'd set my limit at like 20 yards or something near that range.

Comment

Shanes right let em' get mo farther than 30yds.
                            Good luck and Good hunting !

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 300 yard .22lr
                              by fitch270
                              I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
                              Today, 01:40 PM
                            • 300 yard .22lr
                              by jhjimbo
                              Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
                              Today, 11:28 AM
                            • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                              by jhjimbo
                              I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
                              Today, 01:28 PM
                            • Cheaper Than Dirt
                              by jhjimbo
                              Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
                              Today, 12:21 PM
                            • Reply to Trump
                              by Ontario Honker Hunter
                              So Trumpish. Everything is about looking for dirt. Or making it up (e.g. the "birther" crap). The guy couldn't win on his merits ... because...
                              Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X