Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I just went hooting around for turkeys at 10:30 at night and was trying to listen for some but didn't get any. Is there a spe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I just went hooting around for turkeys at 10:30 at night and was trying to listen for some but didn't get any. Is there a spe

So I just went hooting around for turkeys at 10:30 at night and was trying to listen for some but didn't get any. Is there a specific way of doing this or a specific time?

I meant to add I was using a owl call, lol, sorry... butr yea I was using a call and didn't get any to gobble at me

Comment

The best time to do it is early morning from just before dawn until flydown and late evening after you are sure the birds have flown up to roost. If the owl hooter fails try a Coyote howler, duck or goose call.

Comment

All we have is an owl call and we tryed last night and this morning and no luck. I know for a FACT that their is turkeys out here because we've killed one and called 7 of them in... so I don't know what specific time or how.

Comment

Also try a Peacock, Crow or Hawk Call.

Comment

As Del said, early morning before flydown is the best time to "hoot". You may also be successful shock gobbling a turkey just after fly up to roost. Certain other shock calls (Hawk, Crow, Coyote, Peacock, etc) can work during the day. In my experience turkeys get used to such shock tactics quickly and are less eager to pop off. I try to use them only as a last resort.

Comment

It's a great scouting tool if you do it right. Here in MI, I have better luck putting them to bed. I'll call just before sundown. If they are out there like you say, you should be able to here them gobbleing in the morning and figure out where they are roosting.

Comment

go right after dark so their still awake and listening then go near them the following morning

Comment

They are snoozin right through your hootin. If you will catch them right after fly up or just before fly down you will probably get better results. I have had them gobble at a slamming truck door more than once.

Comment

Do it the last 1/2hour before dark. I've heard gobblers sound off late at night, but the hoot owls were positively going off apparently all around it.

Comment

Go just as the sunn is coming up because they are just now flying out of there roost.

Comment

In my experience you can get them to gobble to owl or coyote calls right after they fly up but a couple of gobbles in a small window is about all you can expect as it is getting dark. In the morning on the other hand, from the roost I have heard them gobble at owls, coyotes, dogs, clock tower bells, trains, thunder, etc.

Comment

i'd do it in the morning right at sunrise most turkeys are roosted and won't make a sound for something like that at night.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad