Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which do you prefer, the box call, the slate, or the diaphram for turkey hunting? I have gotten pretty good with the slate and

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which do you prefer, the box call, the slate, or the diaphram for turkey hunting? I have gotten pretty good with the slate and

Which do you prefer, the box call, the slate, or the diaphram for turkey hunting? I have gotten pretty good with the slate and struggle still with the diaphram. I am new with the diaphram so I am still practicing.

My vest usually has a slate or two, a box, a Quaker Boy Easy Yelper, 6-8 diaphragms, and an assortment of locator calls. To me, it's like fishing, different tools for different applications.

Comment

they have all got their own purposes, so I like them all! and keep practicing with that diaphragm, it takes time but you can do a lot with them.

Comment

always keep a diaphram in my mouth, and 2 more in my vest, along with a box call, a slate, and a crystal. each has the own application. i dont use the box call much anymore, that was more when i was learning. slate is for soft clucks and purrs, crystal is when i want loud, crisp, yelps and cutts, but it can also do softer calls. diaphram i can yelp and cutt on, but its mostly there for when a turkey is in view and movement is not an option.

Comment

I have a Crow call and a Box call,the crow is my locater and the box will do the rest,perr,yelp,cluck
          and Miss Hanna the Hen-Decoy = Bang Flop!

Comment

I like the box call if things get hoppin I'll get my diaphragm call in my mouth for when I am close, I own a slate call but can not produce the calls I can with a box, its easy and simple and that gets me results in the woods.

Comment

Btw the way when you practice with your diaphragms just make the sound chick, after that you'll get the feeling of the call and take off from there. After that it gets easy, that is how I learned how to use it thansk to a goood teacher.

Comment

I like my slate call probably the most out of all of them. I like scratchgolf72 like how I can get good cuts and purrs out of my slate.

My box call works well for locating birds, since it had the most volume.

But I love swooning a big tom in with my mouth calls too. If it makes a turkey sound, I will tend to use just about anything.

Comment

If you get good at using a mouth call it is by far the best choice. I just started using one this year and i like having my hands free.

Comment

im better with a diaphram than a slate i can call louder with a diaphram

Comment

Box. Ive never tried a slate call and am bad with diaphram calls. I also just like box calls for a reason I dont even know

Comment

I have used them all and I do mean them all, but I have it pared down to a box for long range and a diaphragm for when I have to be still.

Comment

All have their place. I don't know if one is really better than another but each has its merits. My advice is to practice to become efficient with each type.

Comment

If you are unsure about your diaphram abilities then don't use it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad