Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last year I bought a diaphragm turkey call at the end of the season. I practiced with it for a while and then put it away inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last year I bought a diaphragm turkey call at the end of the season. I practiced with it for a while and then put it away inside

Last year I bought a diaphragm turkey call at the end of the season. I practiced with it for a while and then put it away inside my home. I recently pulled them out to start brushing up for this season, but they appear to have cracked and almost dry rotted. Is there a special way I should store them to prevent this from happening in the future? Thanks! Hugh Horton, Watha, NC

Hey Hugh!

I always keep my diaphragm calls in a small Tupperware container in the fridge. Ive even put them in a little 50/50 solution of mouth wash & water. That keeps the reeds from drying out and it keeps the germ free. The mouthwash is also a nice touch come 6am when your in the field!!

Regardless, the fridge is definitely the way to go. Keeps the reeds nice an resiliant! Ive successfully kept some of my mouthcalls in good running condition for 3 or 4 years like this.

Good Luck!

Comment

Freeze them in a container in water. Thaw them out in spring. No problems.

Comment

I wash mine with water, air dry completely and then I stick flat tooth picks in between the reeds so they don't stick together. Its alot of work, but it does the job. I am on year three with mine, just pulled them out to check. At the end of this season I might try TJU's trick, minty sounds like a way to keep me awake.

Comment

I do the same as TJU. works great. keeps em clean

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad