Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gobblers, I have hunted this piece of land (400acres) 4 or 5 times and always see jakes and hens, but have yet to hear OR see a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gobblers, I have hunted this piece of land (400acres) 4 or 5 times and always see jakes and hens, but have yet to hear OR see a

Gobblers, I have hunted this piece of land (400acres) 4 or 5 times and always see jakes and hens, but have yet to hear OR see a mature Tom. Is it possible there are not any on this plot?

Is it over-hunted? Does everyone in the county/region of the state hunt there? Then, yes possible. What is the size of the mature toms in that area?

Comment

You just might have an old boy surrounded by hens who has no need to gobble. I have run across them before. They simply fly down and go to a strutting area with the girls.

Lot's of hunting pressure can make gobblers non vocal. Over use of a locator call can also make the tight beaked. If you have hunted this tract more than one year some of those jakes should be 2 year olds and near suicidal.

Scout the roads for gobbler tracks and stutting areas. If you find them go directly to them the next day and wait. Don't call much if at all, big daddy just might show his hand!

Comment

Either the tom doesnt want to gobble or maybe it is over-hunted in which case, too much hunting pressure.

Comment

One of the farms I hunt on is near public land that gets a lot of pressure. This place has the largest flock of hens I've ever seen. Yet last year I went there one morning and waylaid a 2 yr old Tom that was trailing the some girlybirds. Thirty min later on the other side of the place called in 2 more Gobblers and filled my last tag. Hunted that place long enough to know where they roost and travel. Don't give up. I've never seen a place with hens and Jakes that did not have a few Toms. You didn't mention where this is so I will guess you are hunting Easterns. Gobblers do move around. In Kansas you see them just about anywhere right after the flocks break up in late March or April. Go back in a few days and you might find your bird. It's possible but not likely there are no Gobblers around.

Comment

either there's too many people hunting on that land, or there's lots of turkeys in one area, and you're not hunting in the correct area. i would try putting blinds into different areas all over your land and hunt different ones. switch stands and blinds oftenly. also, if you wanted to, you could put out corn or any other food that a turkey would come to. out at my place, we put out corn and nutrient blocks for the turkeys pheasants and birds. it's not baiting because we put it out much before season opens. it helps bring the animals to your land. we've seen the turkey population rise greatly after about two years of feeding them.

Comment

Could just has a smart stubron bird. I've hunted an area next to the river for a few years and just seen a nice big tom last year. All I was getting was jakes and hens as well. I knew there was alot of turkeys in the area, but it just took the right day to finaly see the tom. He didn't gobble much for me and I tried every call I had.

Comment

I strongly doubt it. Where there's girls, there's guys.

Comment

It's definitely not over hunted. I think the tom(s) may just be satisfied and no need to sound off. I will surely hit it hard in the late season. thanks for the comments guys.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad