Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do you think it is ethical to hunt quail and pheasant with a dog but not ethical to hunt a deer with dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you think it is ethical to hunt quail and pheasant with a dog but not ethical to hunt a deer with dogs?

Why do you think it is ethical to hunt quail and pheasant with a dog but not ethical to hunt a deer with dogs?

You’re kidding me; you can’t figure that one out! LOL!

The reason I don’t like deer hunted with dogs is plain simple.

How many times have you come around a corner of a road and be looking down someone’s gun barrel waiting for the deer to cross!

By the way, State Laws prohibit the discharge of a weapon within 100 feet of the centerline of the road!!

Comment

Hunting quail and pheasant the hunter has the dog under control whereas deer dogs are let loose running any direction they go! In a area closed to hunting deer with dogs, dogs are shot by a few hunters. If you value your dog like I do, don’t run dogs in a closed area!

By the way, I wish I had the cost of Bud being chilled in coolers in those trucks with hunters awaiting deer to cross!

Hunting while intoxicated, shooting from a vehicle, discharging a weapon from a road and reckless endangerment!

GO FIQURE!

Comment

Tracking a wounded deer with a dog on a leash I don't have a problem with it, in fact I encourage it even in an area closed to dogs!

Comment

I'll agree with Clay on all points. I have seen the situations he is talking about in SE AR, however I do like dogs for hunting and hold it as some of my fondest memories. The key is to get in the woods and hunt. The Game Warden should be called anytime there is a group of drunk hunters. I don't care who you are or where you are unless its at camp and the guns are cased. I don't think its ethical for one vs the other but I think the hunters are UN Ethical that fall under Clays statements above, not the dogs.

Comment

Who said anything about hunting from a road? When did alcohol get involved? everyone I have ever seen hunt deer with dogs did so with beagles that turned the deer toward the hunters who were placed in the woods as standers like in a deer drive.

If you think bird dogs are always under control you should have been on a few hunts that I have been on.

Comment

I don't really see anything wrong with hunting deer with a dog.

Comment

I don't think that there's anything wrong with it if you use the dogs like teufelhunden said. I've never purposly hunted with dogs, but a farmers lab had followed us in the woods and scared some deer to us. Didnt realize it until after the deer had dropped and the dog came hauling out of the brush after it. I think it might make you a lazy hunter or give you a harder shot. I wouldnt use one cuz I'd be to worried about someone shooting it and I like it when I can sneak up on deer. More satisfying

Comment

I don't think that there's anything wrong with it if you use the dogs like teufelhunden said. I've never purposly hunted with dogs, but a farmers lab had followed us in the woods and scared some deer to us. Didnt realize it until after the deer had dropped and the dog came hauling out of the brush after it. I think it might make you a lazy hunter or give you a harder shot. I wouldnt use one cuz I'd be to worried about someone shooting it and I like it when I can sneak up on deer. More satisfying

Comment

I grew up hunting in Fla swamps with dogs. Never saw anyone drinking. Few deer would ever be shot without dogs to push them out of the swamps and thickets. Its much harder to traverse Southern swamps than the woods to the North.

Comment

Nothing ethically wrong with hunting deer with dogs, but people will abuse any privilege they are given. Dog hunters get a bad rap because those who are abusing the privilege are typically sitting right there off the road for everyone to see. People commonly violate all manner of ethics in hunting but they're a half mile back in the woods or marsh and nobody knows about it.

Believe it or not... county laws in some states do not prohibit the discharge of a weapon within 100 feet of the centerline of the road. In some counties in NC you can be standing in the middle of a state rd and shoot a deer. Also completely legal in some counties to shoot across the right of way. Not the best policy in my opinion but it is supported by the majority of residents of those counties.

Comment

I agree with Del i see it in the south where you need them to put the meat on your table but not in the rest of the country.

Comment

1st, I have seen more than one doe come blazing past my stand with her toungue hanging out and a dog right on her tail. Since hunting season conincides with breeding season it is only logical to assume that chasing deer with dogs would hinder breeding. 2nd, dogs don't respect "No Tresspassing" signs or fences. After I go to great lengths to get to my stand undetected it annoys the pee out of me to have a dog spooking the deer I tried so hard to keep from spooking.

Comment

Got sidetracked and forgot the point of the question. Everyone is hunting pheasant and quail in generally the same manner. No one is trying to sneak up on them. Therefore, the dogs probably don't annoy other hunters that may be nearby and they also don't put undue stress on birds.

Comment

Because dogs can't go and retreive your deer. It would have a heartattack

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by 99explorer
                                CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                                Anybody
                                Today, 01:09 AM
                              • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                                Today, 12:57 AM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by crm3006
                                My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                                Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X