Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone heard of making a turkey decoy out of trash bags? Like I've heard of it before, of a certain way to do it... I just forgo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone heard of making a turkey decoy out of trash bags? Like I've heard of it before, of a certain way to do it... I just forgo

Anyone heard of making a turkey decoy out of trash bags? Like I've heard of it before, of a certain way to do it... I just forgot how and where I heard it. Anyways my girlfriends step dad is 'attempting' to make one... anyways, let me know if you guys hear of one.

i would spend $9.87 and buy one, turkeys have great eye sight and would be able to spot it.

Comment

You cam buy cheap collapsible foam turkey decoys that are much more realistic, and easier to put together to boot.

Comment

No, but they do it for snow geese. I realize thats a different bird .

Comment

kolbester, anyone can go out and buy a '$9.87' decoy and succesfully shoot a turkey...

If I can do it with my 'home made' turkey...shoot, theres no better trophy or story then that. So it may sound dumb or crazy. But its not because I'm poor or cheap. Its a challenge. We are also trying to bag them with our bows.

Comment

Pick up a ready made one.

Comment

I have heard of making decoys for snow geese from trash bags. A turkey eyeballing a trash bag is going to see a trash bag. As a matter of fact, a turkey's eyesight is so good that I would not be surprised if a turkey could even tell you if it was a Hefty or Glad from 100 yards or better.

Comment

lol... well I have always heard that, about turkeys and eyesight but I seriously don't know if I agree 100% with that. I can tell you I'm deffinatly NOT a turkey hunter so probaly in every aspect wrong! BUT... I've had many encounters with them in odd situations meaning alot of movement and times where I would have thought I would have been busted by the turkey because of their eyesight but hadn't been... Fact is... I just wanted to try it... I like to do things diff. then other people. I mean, you don't get bored of shooting the same bird with the same gun every time? I can't speak the same about a deer and bow, because to me, it NEVER gets old. So I'm sure you feel the same about turkeys. But I still would like to try it! Thanks guys

Comment

Agreed with kolbster answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Actually the realism of a turkey decoy dosent have much of an effect believe it or not! I've watched studies they have done where they started with a full very detailed turkey decoy and started to remove peices of it until all there was left was a head on a stick and turkeys were still trying to mate it! Don't know where I saw it but it was on TV awhile ago. Turkeys may have good eyesight who knows but since there dumber then a box of rocks I don't think that eyesight has to much of an impact. A simple YouTube search will bring up a variety of videos of turkeys trying to mate all sorts of things! A persons head, a chicken, a FOOTBALL! Yes your eyes arnt playing tricks on you a football and all kinds of other things. A trash bag would still bring turkeys in from a far. It would be hard for even the best eyesighted animals in the world to distinguish small details at over 65+ yards so I say give it a shot! It sure wont hurt anything to try it!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to lightfoot lindsey graham
                      by jhjimbo
                      Jack and Mike are comming to D.C. tomorrow.
                      Obama investigation and related investigations is being quarterbacked by Barr.

Congratulations...
                      Today, 11:58 AM
                    • lightfoot lindsey graham
                      by crm3006
                      Fox’s Lou Dobbs slams Lindsey Graham, ‘betrayed the American people’

October 24, 2020

Fox Business’ Lou Dobbs had some harsh...
                      Yesterday, 08:19 AM
                    • Reply to Rest Easy
                      by jhjimbo
                      Best way to take the heat off AR type rifles is to show more pictures of AR's with game taken in various hunting articles, show more AR's in the hands...
                      Today, 11:51 AM
                    • Rest Easy
                      by jhjimbo
                      Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                      Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                    • Reply to biden corruption! This is some serious stuff.
                      by crm3006
                      "So SANTA is fake"

Oh ye of little faith, and an overload of cynicism! Santa exists, and is proven to exist, every Christmas! Santa...
                      Today, 11:32 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X