Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you consider a trophy turkey? (beard length and spur length)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD2
    replied
    Ive killed turkeys and deer, enough that method doesn't dictate trophy status.
    Difficulty can factor in, but beating a low general success rate alone doesn't
    qualify it.

I hunt a hell hole, massive public pressure. A jake there is still a jake and I won't shoot one no matter how frustrated.

Am content to go home empty handed.
    Mature tom there, while an accomplishment, still won't be a trophy unless he's a 2nd yr tom.
    Which means proly 24#

See what happens this April.

Leave a comment:

• The dick
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Any legal bird in hand is a "trophy"! LOL!
    Took a 13# jake that ate like a 3# fryer!
    Absolutely, a bird is a bird, and with a 30% Hunter success rate here, any legal bird in hand I do consider a trophy

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by The dick View Post
    My 1st year getting into turkey hunting, I shot 1 with a 10.5" beard with the Beretta. The past 2 springs I shot 1 each year for the past 2 years with 3" - 4" beards with a bow, in Michigan, where the DNR claims a 30% Hunter success rate. All 3 birds, trophies
    Any legal bird in hand is a "trophy"! LOL!
    Took a 13# jake that ate like a 3# fryer!

Leave a comment:

• The dick
    replied
    My 1st year getting into turkey hunting, I shot 1 with a 10.5" beard with the Beretta. The past 2 springs I shot 1 each year for the past 2 years with 3" - 4" beards with a bow, in Michigan, where the DNR claims a 30% Hunter success rate. All 3 birds, trophies

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by CD2 View Post
    Not a bad topic either w fall turkey seasons
    No, actually it isn't.

The NWTF keeps records. Check out their website for records and forms for submitting your bird.

My records are:
    23 pounds
    12 inch beard
    2 beards
    1.25 inch spurs
    ...and 1 bearded hen.

For a long time, the heaviest bird taken was a 36 pound Rio!

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    Not a bad topic either w fall turkey seasons

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    Hard to knock a bot when 10% of forum movement is generated by a couple auto posts LOL.

This site aint exactly bubbling w participation across varied topics.

TDS rules the " other ".

A friggin turkey thread gets bumped to active by some far eastern bot. Where the hell is your thanksgiving spirit?

Am not gonna call fowl on an eastern bots turkey thread post.....not gonna cry cultural appropriation

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

How do you know ?
    jimbo, look at post #2 and post #14 on page one.

Same words, same little "i".

DARKIYAT is a "bot".
    Probably "admin" trying to stir up activity or an attempt to hijack the sight by those best Bangladesh "Packers & Movers".

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    jimbo, cd2, you guys DO realize this ten year old thread was brought forward by a troll, don't you?
    How do you know ?

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    jimbo, cd2, you guys DO realize this ten year old thread was brought forward by a troll, don't you?

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    Im no turkey hunter, but know how to hunt em, killed a few.

Can hunt them 10 mins from my house. But bud and I drive 3 hrs one way to a tick infested public land hell hole.

Because killing a tom there makes it a trophy.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    I call a trophy the one I can get.

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    On my old deer spot i killed several toms. All 21-21.5# and 10.5" beard. Guided a coworker for his first.....another 21.5 and 10.5". Seen one monster up there though.

Killed a 24# close to home. Majority of beard was 12.5". But four of the hairs went 13.5". I call him a 12.5 since that the majority. Spurs were 21 and 22 iirc.
    ​​​​​​
    I know of guys killing 27# birds w spurs 27mm.

Leave a comment:

• DARKIYAT
    replied
    Originally posted by shane View Post
    Most would say a ten inch beard and spurs over one inch is a trophy. auto clicker word unscrambler jumble solver Some would say one bigger than the last one is a trophy. I would say any mature bird taken in a memorable hunt is a trophy.

If I have 2 toms in range, and one has a shorter beard but looks bigger and heavier, I'll shoot him.

Whatever tom came in front of me while i had a shotgun and a tag.
    Last edited by DARKIYAT; 09-25-2019, 08:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jessie Armstrong
    replied
    I go for beard length when picking my bird. Two years ago I had 4 toms coming into my deke (bought it with gift cards right before gander closed) that I was using for the first time. I said to my self, first bird in range gets it. The more eyes the harder it is. First thing I also check is the tail. I love a nice looking tail that will fan out nice.

The story of the hunt is the real trophy though. My first fall bird was a super jake, and it is still a trophy to me. The circumstances and being my first fall bird (archery only here) makes it a trophy.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Apologies
    by FirstBubba
    You guys are so wrong!
    Don't you understand?
    If the head is on the wrong end of the nail, it goes on the other side of the house!
    Today, 10:48 AM
  • Apologies
    by Pmacc60
    I must apologize to Honk, Rock Rat and 99 ! Today I watched and really listened to the inauguration and commentary on ABC. I realize I am a White Suprematist...
    Yesterday, 08:22 PM
  • Finally after 35 years of looking I found one.
    by Milldawg
    Well it’s not fancy it’s beretta 950b .22 short. It’s the same type of pistol I learned to shoot a pistol with as wee lad. This one was passed to...
    Today, 08:31 AM
  • Reply to Finally after 35 years of looking I found one.
    by jhjimbo
    Nice family heirloom to keep in the family.
    For leather I wash all my leather holsters in K-1. Soak them in clean K-1 and then let them drain and...
    Today, 10:16 AM
  • Reply to Finally after 35 years of looking I found one.
    by FirstBubba
    Is that the one with the barrel that pops up in the back to load the first round?
    Knew a guy who had one. Always wanted to make an offer on it,...
    Today, 09:42 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X