Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you consider a trophy turkey? (beard length and spur length)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you consider a trophy turkey? (beard length and spur length)

What would you consider a trophy turkey? (beard length and spur length)

Whatever tom came in front of me while i had a shotgun and a tag.

Comment

A trophy is not measured by inches! Any hunter should know this.

Comment

Most would say a ten inch beard and spurs over one inch is a trophy. Some would say one bigger than the last one is a trophy. I would say any mature bird taken in a memorable hunt is a trophy.

If I have 2 toms in range, and one has a shorter beard but looks bigger and heavier, I'll shoot him.

Comment

Im from Wisconsin and around here its around 20 pounds 10 inch beard and a 1 1/2 inch spur thats pretty nice

Comment

Any gobbler is a trophy.

Comment

any turkey that was memroble was a trofhie bird

Comment

Taking home any mature gobbler is a worthy hunting accomplishment. I judge a really good gobbler by spur length. The beard will get to 10-11 inches in a mature gobbler then constantly wear off. Very rarely do they get much longer. The spurs, except in rocky areas don't wear down and in an older tom they will be long, hooked and very sharp. If you can hang a tom from a limb by his spurs you have good bird in hand. A real limb hanger!

Comment

If you have a limb hanger, you have a real beast on your hands. Maybe we need 3.5's after all...

Comment

any mature tom that you work hard for that gives you a good hunt. the beard and spurs are the plus

Comment

i was out on second ever turkey sunday 5/3/2009 alone, i shot my frist turkey ever at 5:30pm the wt. was 26 lbs, 25mm spur 3+ years old. i have a fram in se indaina

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

I go for beard length when picking my bird. Two years ago I had 4 toms coming into my deke (bought it with gift cards right before gander closed) that I was using for the first time. I said to my self, first bird in range gets it. The more eyes the harder it is. First thing I also check is the tail. I love a nice looking tail that will fan out nice.

The story of the hunt is the real trophy though. My first fall bird was a super jake, and it is still a trophy to me. The circumstances and being my first fall bird (archery only here) makes it a trophy.

Comment

Originally posted by shane View Post
                            Most would say a ten inch beard and spurs over one inch is a trophy. auto clicker word unscrambler jumble solver Some would say one bigger than the last one is a trophy. I would say any mature bird taken in a memorable hunt is a trophy.

If I have 2 toms in range, and one has a shorter beard but looks bigger and heavier, I'll shoot him.

Whatever tom came in front of me while i had a shotgun and a tag.
                            Last edited by DARKIYAT; 09-25-2019, 08:56 PM.

Comment

On my old deer spot i killed several toms. All 21-21.5# and 10.5" beard. Guided a coworker for his first.....another 21.5 and 10.5". Seen one monster up there though.

Killed a 24# close to home. Majority of beard was 12.5". But four of the hairs went 13.5". I call him a 12.5 since that the majority. Spurs were 21 and 22 iirc.
                              ​​​​​​
                              I know of guys killing 27# birds w spurs 27mm.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad