Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gun Dog health. This is not the first time this has happened. On occasion it seems to ocurr about 45 min to an hour into the h

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Dog health. This is not the first time this has happened. On occasion it seems to ocurr about 45 min to an hour into the h

Gun Dog health. This is not the first time this has happened. On occasion it seems to ocurr about 45 min to an hour into the hunt my dogs rear end becomes weak. She cannot support herself. It is almost as if she has had a stroke and is in a drunken stupor. I read an article on the topic within the last year, but don't recall the publication, the article failed to confirm what several vets thougth might be the problem, low blood sugar, stroke or hip displasia. I am wondering if anyone has had similar issues with their pup and if there is any hope to keep a dog with desire in the field. Today I had to carry her back to the truck

Man that sounds terrible. What does your vet say? Good luck, I mean it.

Comment

When I take my lab out of the pen she sometimes almost faints. She'll run around and all of a sudden stops and gets wobbley and just lays down for a minute. I guess its kind of like being light-headed if you jump up really fast from laying down. After about a min or two she's fine. I heard someone say that this sometimes occurs in labs. But don't remember the name of the condition. Sounds similiar to your case but maybe not the same. Hope everything works out for you.

Comment

I could guess but only your vet had the equipment and knowledge to say for certain. For your sake and for the dog I hope you get this figured out soon.

Comment

We used to have a Lab that had bad hips and if we were out for a while I would have to pick her up over even the smallest obstacles. I hope that everything works out for you, dogs truely are man's best friend.

Comment

I think that article was in North American Hunter, but I can't remember what they were saying about that condition.

Comment

I have not been back to the Vet sinve the first occurrance fall of 2007. He gave me several large syringes full of Caro Syrup thinking ir was low blood sugar. I did see that article "streack" metioned. I sent a copy to the Vet and had not heard back from him. He is on my list of people to call. S for teh pup (6 years old no) she seems to recover with no ill after effects, but I just hate to see her in what looks like agony to me. Thanks to all concerned I am going to see if I can find that article.

Comment

Hello. This is really something to think about.

I'm a lab owner. I haven't seen this, but the internet has some articles on a condition found this last few years - EIC or exercise-induced collapse. They say it happens to muscular dogs with a lot of drive. They are working on a gene test to see if a dog has it or carries it. The U. of Minnesota has info. on this and also the site www.working-retriever.com.

Good luck,
                Pat

Comment

Almost certainly, her tail is freezing. Not literally, you only have to lower the temperature. It is not an uncommon syndrome. There is nothing you can do except take up dove hunting.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad