Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm buying a new side by side. Are 26 or 28 in. barrels best for most upland birds? [20 ga]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm buying a new side by side. Are 26 or 28 in. barrels best for most upland birds? [20 ga]

I'm buying a new side by side. Are 26 or 28 in. barrels best for most upland birds? [20 ga]

I would go with the 26 mostly for easy handling.

Comment

I agree, my upland doubles are 26" for weight and quick handling, especially in brush.

Comment

Yes sir 26" tubs are the way to go.

Comment

All of my shotguns are 26".

Comment

I have 26" and 28" guns. I really can't tell that much of a difference. A 26" might be easier to handle and lighter to carry on long hunts.

Comment

My preference for a side by side is the 28. I feel it points better and gives me a smooth swing.

Comment

50 cals work great for upland birds.

Comment

You'd be surprised how short 28 inchers look and feel on a SxS. Unless it's a grouse gun you'll probably appreciate them. With that said a 28" 20 gauge double is my grouse gun.

Comment

Unfortunately the upland bird hunting here in Jersey is lousy. Get the one that swings and points best for you, which means don't buy w/o handling a few of each.

Comment

I haved owned and shot both and agree with Beekeeper and Shane. With a semi-auto or pump which has a long action go with 26. With any double I would go with the 28 incher.

Comment

I like a 26 but the 28 will put you 2 inches closer to the bird!

Comment

All of my S x S guns are 28" but I like them to be more muzzle heavy. I have one over under that is 26" but the barrels are heavy so the balance point is similar and don't notice it too much. The swing of the longer barrels just seems smoother to me.

Comment

I think jwallen has a point - the balance may be different between guns. Might want to try them both out before committing. In the thick with birds like grouse and woodcock some people like short barrels to avoid the trees, and you might only get a quick point and shoot anyway. In the open having a bit more weight out front might help with following through. It's a personal choice that will likely develop over time.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad