Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know any good websites, or know how to outfit a kayak for duck hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    Does anybody know Treestand in N.FL. ?? Have not heard from him in a long time.
    Hey Jimbo...i'm back needed some time off y'all can find me under treestand the III, thanks for asking

Comment

Treestand, I'm glad to see you back. But I'm sad to hear about Ms. Toni and now understand the time away.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyGunz60 View Post

Perhaps part of that was your lack of time in such a boat. I was a kayak and canoe enthusiast, on a variety of waters, before I took up duck hunting, so I was comfortable adapting them to hunting. But dealing with the perceived instability of a kayak or pokeboat in the colder temps and with the additional equipment carried while hunting can be daunting someone not used to them.
        Rusty, (if you're still around on the site), I regularly use one of two canoes to get to hunting spots for deer and pigs. One is a tandem which can haul about 1000 lbs, the other is a solo with 450 lb capacity. Of course they're more stable if the load has a low center of gravity. A kayak paddle is also the way I go on open water and then I switch to a standard paddle for tight areas requiring better control or when I need to push off rocks and logs. This coming season I may try standing in the tandem and poling in the shallows.

Besides a PFD, I also carry a change of clothes and a towel in a dry bag just in case of a unwanted swim.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand the III View Post

Hey Jimbo...i'm back needed some time off y'all can find me under treestand the III, thanks for asking
          Sorry to hear of your loss. Last I remember you were headed for some joint replacement surgery. Glad you are back. So many users did not make the change to the new format and that is what we thought happened to you. Jim

Comment

Treestand the III
            I ain't typing all that! Look for "Ts3"!
            Condolences, mi amigo.
            Good to see you back!

Comment

Welcome Back Tree👍
              Just wondering Tree, why did you change your user name?
              Just to update you, 99 has been arguing with many users on the liberal Trump investigation threads. 99 wants justice. ⚖️
              I think he jumped off the Trump Train.
              ROTFLMAO 🤣😂
              So sorry to hear about Ms Toni. RIP 💐
              Last edited by Gary Devine; 08-02-2019, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Hey Big G> F&S would not let me use just T-stand, nice to see U back on F&S. i'm New on here but we will real him back I'll get on him like Inspector Clueso..

Comment

R U Ready to leave NO-Gun's Jeresy soon to be NO hunting Jeresy Lease Hunting Only.

Comment

Big G> Good to see you back...R U keeping First Flubber in check....soon to kiss his AR good by.

Comment

I don't think the person posting as T3 is the original Treestand. He better be a close relation or I'm calling BULLSHIT!

Comment

Tree 3, the wife and I are not leaving Jersey even with all the stupid gun laws.
                        We love our families and our house too much to pack up. 🏡
                        Our idiot LIBERAL Governor Murphy banning black bear hunting on state land knocks out my bear honey hole hotspot. 😫 I may post an ad in a newspaper to lease a property for bear hunting.

How come the first comment on this thread has your red Winchester hat profile and being a member since Aug. 2009? Tree3 has been a member since Aug 2019. Everything lost?
                        The Glove and Pig would commit suicide if they lost all their "gaming the system" with plus points for themselves. 🤣😂LMAO
                        Last edited by Gary Devine; 08-05-2019, 10:04 AM.

Comment

All right! Now I call BULLSHIT! Treestand the III is not the senior citizen, retired from NYC to Fla., hunting lease maintaining person that started with the true name "Treestand".

Comment

I thought a kayak was a good idea for duck stealth long ago. It was NOT a good idea. I believe that federal law requires the boat to be anchored by two anchors if used for duck hunting. Check the regulations. My first shot was a nice flock of mallards approaching from the right. The recoil of my shot, flipped me over in freezing water with shotgun and gear. I had hypothermia by the time I made it to shore and was lucky to make it. No more kayak hunting for me. A good duck load has lots more recoil than I expected and I've had enough near-death experiences for my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyGunz60 View Post
                              I use my kayak for duck hunting now and then. It's a lot less work that launching my sneakbox or center console and I can launch from and get to places those boats can't. The biggest limitation s the amount of gear I can haul, so I use it in very limited situations where I'm not hauling much. I could buy a bigger kayak but I have too many boats already so i more often use my canoe, paddling it with a kayak paddle. I can haul butt solo paddling in protected waters that way and have room for my gear, decoys and dog. But using either boat in cold water conditions requires lots of experience with the boat and definitely use of a jiofi.local.html PFD!

Trade it in for a john boat 10 or 12 foot at base pro.
                              Last edited by DARKIYAT; 09-25-2019, 09:21 PM.

Comment

There’s a Facebook group called Kayak Hunters, lots of people on there with advice about kayak setups for duck hunting and how to build kayak blinds.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad