Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know any good websites, or know how to outfit a kayak for duck hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know any good websites, or know how to outfit a kayak for duck hunting?

Does anyone know any good websites, or know how to outfit a kayak for duck hunting?

Trade it in for a john boat 10 or 12 foot at base pro.

Comment

I've been seeing more and more kayaks at the boat launch. They seem perfect for a single hunter, been reading a couple reviews, https://thewaterfowlhunter.com/duck-hunting-kayak/ and wondering the same thing. Seems like you may have to make a few modifications to it. However, the best one I saw was adding a little trolling motor to save some time paddling.

Comment

I use my kayak for duck hunting now and then. It's a lot less work that launching my sneakbox or center console and I can launch from and get to places those boats can't. The biggest limitation is the amount of gear I can haul, so I use it in very limited situations where I'm not hauling much. I could buy a bigger kayak but I have too many boats already so i more often use my canoe, paddling it with a kayak paddle. I can haul butt solo paddling in protected waters that way and have room for my gear, decoys and dog. But using either boat in cold water conditions requires lots of experience with the boat and definitely use of a PFD!

Comment

I tried a Poke Boat for Duck hunting but never felt comfortable doing it.

Comment

Cabelas/Bass pro has a kayak called the ascend hybrid. Ten and 12 foot models. They actually make a duck blind to fit it.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              I tried a Poke Boat for Duck hunting but never felt comfortable doing it.
              Perhaps part of that was your lack of time in such a boat. I was a kayak and canoe enthusiast, on a variety of waters, before I took up duck hunting, so I was comfortable adapting them to hunting. But dealing with the perceived instability of a kayak or pokeboat in the colder temps and with the additional equipment carried while hunting can be daunting someone not used to them.

Comment

Does anybody know Treestand in N.FL. ?? Have not heard from him in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  Does anybody know Treestand in N.FL. ?? Have not heard from him in a long time.
                  He went missing with the relaunch, hope he’s ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Nolan View Post
                    I also tried my Wilderness Kayak and that was very crowded. I think a Jon boat is probably the best choice.

Comment

Saw a bunch of sit on top kayaks today at Cabela's. I would have a hard time keeping everything from falling in the water. Better tie a flotation device to my firearm. Best bet is a good size canoe or a Jon boat to haul gear. Plus Jon boat has a platform for dog to get on.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                        Trade it in for a john boat 10 or 12 foot at base pro.
                        A john boat is more stable in rough water,it holds your Gun/Ammo & Dog and pool net to scope up your ducks.2019/8

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

He went missing with the relaunch, hope he’s ok.
                          Hi Y'all i'm back under....T-stand the III....Ms Toni is no longer with us..R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand the III View Post
                            Hi Y'all i'm back under....T-stand the III....Ms Toni is no longer with us..R.I.P.
                            My condolences sir.

Welcome back.

Comment

I had some potted 6'-8'cat-tails mounted on the nose and camo neating mounted on 1.5" W x 7' PVC...in 1lb coffee cans full of C-ment ....drill small holes in pvc install S-hooks hang camo.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad