Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone have advice for a beginner turkey hunter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a bag full of decoys. Struttin Jake, hens Gobbler etc tried them all. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. Nowdays I don't use one unless it's a special situation. You don't want a bird to 1. hang up when he sees the hen and try to call her to him or 2 see the jake or gobbler and be intimidated. If he gets close and sees nothing he is more likely to keep looking until your shot hits his head. Try to set up so that he is in range when you see the bird. You can click on my username and check the Gobbler pics one of them has 5 beards. Can't get enough Turkey hunting.

Comment

I agree with alot of the pros on this page. If you will listen and pay attention to the birds you will quickly pick up on thier behaviours. The key to success is knowing your prey.

Comment

Get out there early and listen for gobbles from the roost. Try to sneak close. A push button yelper is the easiest call to use, boxes and frictions aren't much harder. Mouth calls take alot of practice, but are the most rewarding personally, and they require the least movement when the Tom's in sight. Google "turkey calling", and you can find some cool sites w/ all the turkey vocalizations so you can hear what your trying to sound like. A turkey hunting dvd wouldn't hurt either. Good luck!

Comment

Patience, stillness, and tick repellent.

Comment

Agreed with Del in KS answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad