Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's taking me forever to figure out how to use a mouth call for tukeys. Does practice just make perfect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's taking me forever to figure out how to use a mouth call for tukeys. Does practice just make perfect?

It's taking me forever to figure out how to use a mouth call for tukeys. Does practice just make perfect?

you need to practice

Comment

It takes some people awhile to master it. Practice does make perfect. Get some sort of "Easy Reed" call and expand from there.

Comment

It takes lots of practice. I'd practice while I was watching tv, or look up turkey sounds on the computer and just keep trying till I got close to sounding like a turkey.Good luck with it.

Comment

You hav eto practice even when the season is not open. I practice year around on my way to work. If the sounds are not coming out right you may want to try a youth size diaghram. That is all I use, the small size really helps with the fit. Give it a try.

Comment

Take a small diaphragm call, place it in the middle of your tongue, open end of the "U" facing out, press it against the upper roof of your mouth, and say "Choke!" Keep it pressed up there while saying it. Don't choke. But you should almost be choking. Have it good and back there.

Comment

Like usmc said a smaller call will help, but hours of practice are what you really need. I used to drive about an hour a day so I spent that time with a turkey call in my mouth, plus that way I wasn't annoying anyone with my calling.

Comment

Funny, I found a couple on the ground a year or two ago. I cleaned them up (I know, gross) and seemed to be able to pick up the basics pretty quickly. I guess it is all practice after that.

Can you at least make noise?

Comment

I make noise, but it just doesn't sound right. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Comment

It took me a week just to make any sound at all. Just kept on practicing and changing the way I held the call in my mouth until it sounded right. I prefer a raspy old hen call. BTW you can kill a lot of birds with nothing but 5 to 7 yelps and a few clucks. Purring is good, cutting, etc helps but if you can yelp and cluck that is all you really need. A loud box call is best to start with in the wide open spaces. Then I use a mouth call to finish a close bird. a cluck will usually cause him to raise his head for a better shot. Try not to shoot a strutting bird. His neck is hard to hit and you will likely put shot in the breast. Note that no two hens sound exactly alike. The rythm of your yelps are more important than the tone. I have heard real hens that sounded like a rusty gate swinging in the wind.

Comment

If you are having problems with the call seating in your mouth properly, don't be afraid to trim the tape a bit. Most folks that I know that have problems with one are just having problems with getting it seated.

Comment

yea, and watch as many videos as you can get your hands on.

Comment

The easiest way I do a cluck is press your tongue firmly in the center of the latex and say took along with a burst of air.

Comment

Also try putting a little tongue pressure on the call and saying "kee-yoke,kee-yoke,kee-yoke". That's how I learned the basic yelp. Don't try to learn on a mouth call w/more than 2 reeds, the more reeds, the trickier to learn on.

Comment

Practice makes it definitely perfect!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad