Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to start spring turkey hunting and I dont know how to start out. Can some tell me a list of equipment I need and some tac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to start spring turkey hunting and I dont know how to start out. Can some tell me a list of equipment I need and some tac

I want to start spring turkey hunting and I dont know how to start out. Can some tell me a list of equipment I need and some tactics?

The first thing you need is a complete set of camo, including a head net and gloves. A shotgun that can handle at least 3" shells with at least a full choke maybe extra full or turkey choke if you want. Some like to use decoys but I've had just as much luck without them as with so its up to you. A slate or box call will be the easiest for a beginner and one that came with an instuctional CD or DVD would be really helpful for you. A locator call suck as a owl hooter or crow call works, I use a duck call and have really good results. I start locating gobblers the night before with my locator call, then 30-45 min before sun up set up where you think they will fly down. Once you learn some calling techniques use a tree call to get there attention. There is a lot of other info and not enough room so hopefully some other guys can help you out more.

Comment

I agree with herbie57_57, start with a good set of camo, especially camo gloves. You'd be suprised how often a turkey will bust you by just seeing your hands. With turkey loads today you can even get started with a 20 gauge wwith a full choke, but 12 gauges are a good way to go. Experiment with different loads in 2 3/4" and 3" shells to see what works best in the gun you get. I like reed calls because you just use your mouth, limiting the movemnt you have to make and have time until the season starts to practice with them. Watch some turkey hunting shows on the outdoor channel, they're on all the time, to get an idea of how to set up and the type of calling you should do, being able to see hunters to it in action really helped me. Just find out as much as you can about the different calls and ways to set up, but don't skimp on the quality of your camo, staying undetected is the best way to be successful.

Comment

The reed mouth calls are difficult to master, I have stayed with the slate and box calls with success. And don't forget camo face cover

Comment

Practice those calls!

Comment

Good Cammo including head net and gloves. I like to use a fall leaf pattern for pants and a pattern with green and browns for shirt/jacket. Your bottom half will blend with the forest floor when sitting. A good pair of boots. Insect repellant. Topo maps of the area you plan to hunt.

A shotgun 20 gauge or larger, with a good full, extra full or turkey choke. Choose several different types of ammo in 4,5 and 6 shot sizes. Pattern them all for best effect. You don't need a 3.5 inch 12 gauge shotgun for turkey hunting...

Slate or "glass" type friction calls are easy to learn and can mimic any call you need to make. A good box call is also effective. As for Mouth calls, they are hard to learn to use properly and require much practice.

As for locator calls owl, coyote, crow, hawk, peacock, duck etc. are popular. Don't over use them or you will advertise to and educate more birds to your presence more than you might think.

Practice your wood craft, 80 percent of killing a gobbler is knowing the woods you hunt and moving and setting up carefully.

Minimize you calling efforts until you get some experience.

Comment

You're going to want some good camoflage and a shotgun to start.Then get a double bull blind.You're gona want a hen decoy.Buy a turkey call and a instuctional video.

Comment

Most of the above is good advice but listen to this. Most hunters leave the woods around 9 or 10 am because the turkeys are usually quiet by then. Stay out all day if the law allows and don't overcall. Patience has killed more turkeys for me than anything else. Just because they aren't gobbling every few minutes doesn't mean they aren't there. I've killed many birds that came in without a single gobble so stay alert. Aim for the neck right where skin meets feathers. That way if he ducks or you don't get your head all the way down on the stock you still should get him. Don't try to call a turkey thru a barrier or accross water. I've seen toms refuse to duck a barb wire fence. Hope this helps. My next bird will be #68.

Comment

This is all good stuff but I think the best thing to do is to find a mentor, someone who can help you set up and call birds. I did what you did and it took me 7 years to get my first tom. These can be tricky birds and nothing beats experiance.

Comment

All i can say is that you need to completely cover up i camo. Turkeys have amazing sight.

Comment

A good starters dvd, cammo head to toe, 12ga.,knight and hale diaphragm call, and some luck.

Comment

1st of all everybody on here is talking about camo dont get so much where u cant be completly unseen by another hunter. 2. if there is another hunter dont move,shout. 3. get a good gun, a mossberg 590,500 or a remington 870 and a winchester 1300 are all good guns to start with and find a good shot i use the remington nitro turkey 3' shots i think their great. 4.also get a couple calls i use a diaphram and a glass call and they work . 5.have patience and have fun.

Good Luck

Comment

The basics would be a shotgun with low glare and that can hold turkey loads. Also, invest in some good camo, turkeys have the best vision. Lastly, you will want to get some turkey calls, Primos and Quaker Boy sell some good ones. Those are the basics along with some shells. If you have some extra money, a ground blind might come in handy to conceal your movements as well as a turkey vest in case you want to stalk...

Comment

I agreed with herbie57_57 answer!

Comment

Camo a bag or vest shotgun, shells, choke, box call slate call diaphram call and a locater call, decoys optional, and maybe a blind.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                jimbo don't like me. LOL! 😉! I caught him and called his hand....
                                Today, 07:26 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by FirstBubba
                                Talk about caught twixt a rock and a hard spot!
                                Never did like Graham. He just looks cheesy to me.

Did appreciate what Graham did for...
                                Today, 07:18 PM
                              • More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by crm3006
                                Wow: Lindsey Graham Refuses to Issue Big Tech Subpoenas

Un-be-lievable.

Lindsey Graham swore up and down that he would
                                Today, 05:22 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                I have blocked several that do not post anything worth reading, off topic wrong information, or pivoting on a thread.
                                The site is much more enjoyable...
                                Today, 07:02 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X