Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am planning on doing some preseason turkey scouting tomorrow afternoon and was wondering how i could gather information about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am planning on doing some preseason turkey scouting tomorrow afternoon and was wondering how i could gather information about

I am planning on doing some preseason turkey scouting tomorrow afternoon and was wondering how i could gather information about their patterns but still try and leave the turkeys unaware of my presence.

Turkeys are one of the easiest game to track and find about where theyr heading each day. Now HUNTING them, is a different story. But some things to look for is go in at late afternoons or early morning and try to find their preferred roost, Thats a big step forward. Once you have that its very easy to notice turkey scratch, which is self explanatory[turkey marks where they scratched the ground,looking for feed.] Next looking for feathers or turkey tracks[google them if you don't know what they look like.] And thats about it... Now doing it unawarely... Just try not to be seen by the turkeys, don't worry about scent, just don't get spotted... If no its really no biggie, turkeys will go where they wanna go, you almost got to chase them off a certain area for them to tottaly leave... Good luck man! Bag a big gobbler this spring!

Comment

Thanks very much! i sure will do my best haha

Comment

Like bowhunter352 said find the roost. If you think you know where they roost.Sneak in that area a couple hours before dark you might catch on walking in or keep your eyes and ears out for them flying into the roost and come back the next morning.Mainly the best thing to do is just spend a lot of time in the area and you'll learn to know everything about it.When your fishing you see turkeys.When your turkey hunting you find morel mushrooms.Its all a learning expirience that just gets stored in your memory bank for next year.Good luck!

Comment

On top of what the previous guys said, when you find a pile of poop on the ground that covers a big area look up and learn what those trees look like because thats where they are roosting and then you dont have to stick around to danger getting caught to watch them fly into their roost, you already know.

Comment

Be quite. Walk, don't ride a 4 wheeler. Wear cammo. Don't call to them with a turkey call or use shock calls in an effort to get them to gobble. Look for strutting sign in logging roads and feeding sign in hardwood stands. Roosting sites can vary from day to day and week to week.

Comment

Agreed with bowhunter352!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad