Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would a good turkey load for 20gauge be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would a good turkey load for 20gauge be?

What would a good turkey load for 20gauge be?

3 inch with #5 or 6's. Patern it and see how it shoots first????

Comment

I agree with Clay. Turkey loads have a pretty good "pop" to them, so 3" should be plenty for you. Even try 2 3/4" to see how that patterns, can't hurt. I have killed turkeys with that size load.

Comment

2 3/4" or 3" #6 with a extra full choke should be more than sufficient.

Comment

Since you're going with a 20 gauge you really want to go as big as possible with turkey ammo. Try the new federal premium's, it's called "Heavyweight Coyote", Thats what I would use for a 20, in 3" #4 Shells. You sacrafice knockdown power with a 20 gauge you can't do the same with your ammo by shooting 2 3/4's, and these new shells are supposed to shoot great tight patterns, wich they should for $6.00 a shell.

Comment

Mt wife uses a standard 1 ounce high brass load of 6's. Try different loads including the 3 inch loads and different shot sizes to see what patterns best. The 3 inch loads don't like my wife's 870. No turkey she has ever shot has complained!

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to scope/red dot wrenches for rings/bases
                by jhjimbo
                You can buy a complete selection of sizes for very little - maybe $30. The selection covers all applications. Mine are in a yellow box and contain a few...
                Today, 10:17 PM
              • scope/red dot wrenches for rings/bases
                by dewman
                Getting quite a collection of wrenches. I'd say I've thrown this many away,keep smaller sizes that come in the package for adjustments with the red dot/reflex...
                Yesterday, 03:07 PM
              • Reply to How much is too much?
                by FirstBubba
                That's about as good an answer as there is, redangus.
                When I worked in a sporting goods store and a customer asked me the "best caliber"...
                Today, 10:12 PM
              • How much is too much?
                by FirstBubba
                There is no doubt that a .30-06 Spgfld is more than adequate to actually slay a whitetail.

A lot of newbies come here and ask, "What...
                Today, 09:40 AM
              • Reply to How much is too much?
                by jhjimbo
                If the friend shot through a tree he must have had a full metal jacket solid. My BIL and I shot at a tree and he went through and my 30-30 penetrated...
                Today, 10:10 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X