Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hopefully I will bag a big longbeard this season and I was wondering how I should care for it as i have been saving a couple pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopefully I will bag a big longbeard this season and I was wondering how I should care for it as i have been saving a couple pay

Hopefully I will bag a big longbeard this season and I was wondering how I should care for it as i have been saving a couple paychecks to get it mounted. Caring for a turkey in order for it to be mounted is something I or anyone in my family knows how to do.

Alex,

First try and protect the bird from moisture and rough handling. If the bird bleeds heavily try and wipe it up and blot the skin and feathers before it dries. Make sure all feathers lay naturally when transporting the bird. If you must ice it down, place the bird inside of a plastic bag minding the feathers and place it on top of the ice. My best advice is to get it to your taxidermist as soon as possible! Have you given any consideration to how you want the bird posed? Good luck and I hope you get your bird!

Comment

Do you have a taxidermist picked out? My friend does my work, and out of courtesy, I ask him because from past experience, everybody seems to do something just a little bit different. Good Luck this spring!!!

Comment

Do not gut the bird. Wipe off all blood with a damp cloth and in the direction of the feather lay. Place in a heavy gauge trash bag. Put ice in your ice chest, place the bird in it and cover with ice. Cooling the bird quickly is essential, take your pictures and cool it promptly. Your taxidermist will take care of the rest.

Comment

Are you wanting the whole bird done or just the fan and beard? Basspro and Cabelas sell kits to mount the fan and beard with and they come with instructions as well as all the materials. Essentially you will cut the tail off the butt of the bird leaving a small amount of meat still attached. This worried me the first time I tried it but they give you a powder I think is called borax to cure the meat. Get a large piece of cardboard and spread the fan out and secure it spread out in the fan you want using tacs like you use on a bulletin board or sewing pins work as well. Once you have it spread out sprinkle the powder on any meat left on the feathers and leave it out in the garage. Then your kit will instruct you on how to secure it with the mounting board it comes with. Some are different than others. You cut the beard off and treat the end with the powder as well. This is just kind of a basic overview and seems daunting at first but is really not hard if you just give it a try. I was worried to death on my first but it is pretty easy just takes a little time. And it can save you alot of money. Taxidermists do this also but it is cheaper to do yourself. I would imagine there are videos showing how as well.

Comment

I really had my heart set on getting it mounted in a full strut even though i have thought very much about doing the fan, beard, and spurs kit from cabelas/ bass pro. I do have my taxidermist picked out as he did a fantastic european mount for my catalina goat (pic in my profile on F&S) and i saw some fantastic turkey mounts while i was in his shop. The only problem which might arise is getting to him quickly as i will be hunting before i go to work at 9am over spring break so i will probably have to store him for a couple of hours. but maybe i could arrange for him to be taken to the taxidermist. thank you for all the advice.

Comment

Good luck!!

Comment

I wouldn't do the whole bird, just the fan, beard and spurs. Less maintnance and less space, less expensive. But if you get a beast of a long beard it may be worth it to show up a lil late to work just so you can get him to the taxidermist quickly. Like others have mentioned keep the blood of is key which is easy to say after you just blasted him with a 3 1/2. You may want to lay the bird on something to sock up the blood during the truck ride in as well

Comment

First thing is first though. Gotta get you a nice long beard to mount.

Comment

haha most definately! i have been practicing my calling since late december (even before deer season was over). Thanks for all tha dvice guys i really appreciate it!

Comment

Pick out your taxidermist and ask him or her. Every one has thier preferences on how to handle things and are usually very appreciative when you want to do things just the way they prefer.

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad