Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My dad just got a new yellow lab for the family/ bird dog. We started taking it to basic training and we were told not to play f

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dad just got a new yellow lab for the family/ bird dog. We started taking it to basic training and we were told not to play f

My dad just got a new yellow lab for the family/ bird dog. We started taking it to basic training and we were told not to play fetch with it because it would ruin the dog's training. Is this right? Isn't that what youre supposed to do with a bird dog?

Always follow a good trainers advice. But maybe what they mean is to train instead of play. A lab loves to retrieve once started and that is their reward so training is playing really. Get the dvd called Water Dog. It goes over the method created by Richard Wolters. The method they use has you playing with a puppy even when he is little and his method goes by the dogs age as to how you train him. If nothing else it will give you a good overview on what you can expect from your pup. It is also endorsed by Field and Stream if that helps. And don't get confused by the fact that you are actually watching Charles T. Jurney hosting the video. It is just an updated version of Mr. Wolters training method. It took me awhile to find it because of that.

Comment

Hillbilly, play whatever game you want with that dog as long as it pertains to hunting/retrieving. There's a good chance that trainer isn't a hunter at all. Make sure during your games you make sure the dog knows you are the Alpha male.

Comment

I didn't ask but I have to wonder along with Jim is your trainer a hunting trainer or just an obediance person? They really aren't the same thing

Comment

I think this one's an obedience trainer. the pup is only about 11 weeks but he has hunting blood in him and it's already showing. Thanks guncrazy, I will definitely look into that dvd.

Comment

It's OK to let your dog know who's boss, if you must. He'll probably think you're a jerk. If your dog is a real alpha, forget it. You have to find out what his agenda is and give him lots of practice. Every trainer knows better than to butt heads with an alpha dog. Most people won't keep one. For Bill to be a mere alpha, I would have to anesthetise him and hit him over the head with a 2X4 simultaneously. But I found out how to deal with it. He is an equal and will be treated as such. But your trainer's advice is absolutely correct. He is doing things with your dog that he doesn't have time to explain or cannot put into words. The ability to get the most out of a dog is a gift.

Comment

Agreed with guncrazy74 answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

I agree with Jim in MO.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad