Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to duck hunting. What are the best non-toxic loads for pass shooting and flooded timber. I have an 870 pump with a 28" bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to duck hunting. What are the best non-toxic loads for pass shooting and flooded timber. I have an 870 pump with a 28" bar

New to duck hunting. What are the best non-toxic loads for pass shooting and flooded timber. I have an 870 pump with a 28" barrel and all kinds of chokes and I hunt mainly oxbows and creeks in SE Louisiana and North Florida. I'm thinking of buying one box of heavyshot #6 (which pattern awesome for turkey out of my gun in a full choke) and then buying some bulk cheapo #2 high velocity steel just to have on hand in case ammo starts getting taxed. I'll probably try those in IC choke. I shoot 2 and 3/4 mostly, even for turkey and buckshot. I'm 160 pounds if I ate a big breakfast that day so 3-1/2 are out of the question. Are 3" that much better? The pump gun is gonna kick more than an semi-auto would.

Look at Kent Fast Steel for a good, inexpensive steel load.

Comment

Beekeeper is right about the shells. You should also try your mod. choke, mine gives me the best pattern. And yes you should try the 3", it might not seem like much difference, it gives you just alittle exta umph.

Comment

Hunting flooded timber and Oxbows I would peronally go with the steel shot from a modified choke. I would also stick with 2 3/4. Most of your shots will be upclose. If I were hunting open rice fields I might try the 3" but I rarely find a need for them either in flooded timber or on decoying ducks.

Comment

Winchester Supremes are very good shells, I have cut a few open and the shot size is completely uniform except for maybe two or three pellets. I have always been impressed with it and it patterns well out of my IM choke. I shoot 3 in. and they are comfortable to shoot from early goose in September, long sleeved shirt, to January, multiple layers of clothes.

Comment

Try Winchester Xpert high velocity in #2 with a mod or im choke the shells are cheap and shoot damn good.

Comment

I haven't used heavy shot much, but I haven't had enough of an issue killing ducks and geese with kent faststeel 3" shells to justify the extra $. There shouldn't be too much of a recoil difference from 2 3/4 up to 3" howevr 3 1/2 will definitely kick ya. (I shoot an 870 too)

Comment

Remington Hi-Speed Steel should work well, and would go well with your light-weight 870 pump.

Comment

Iam not a fan of remingtons steel and I have done most of my shooting with Kents but have had quite a few stay alive down to the water and dive but it is great for a cheaper shell than heavy shot. I like heavy shot but I found a new love this year with federals blackcloud. It is fantastic!! And cheaper than heavyshot because you get 25 shells for close to the same price for ten heavy shot. The only problem I have had with it is my 870 doesn't cycle well with it but it has been messing up with everything this year. Can you believe anyone could mess up an 870? Well I have and two gunsmiths later it is still acting up. But with those blackclouds I swear I have never seen anything knock the heck out of birds like it.

Comment

kent fast steel

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad