Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With technology coming a long ways in the shotshell industry which do you think is a superior shell for geese 12 ga. 3.5 in. or

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With technology coming a long ways in the shotshell industry which do you think is a superior shell for geese 12 ga. 3.5 in. or

With technology coming a long ways in the shotshell industry which do you think is a superior shell for geese 12 ga. 3.5 in. or the 10 ga. 3.5 in.?

12 ga. 3.5, high availability of guns at a moderate price.

Comment

There are MORE guns available and CHEAPER shells but the 12 gauge 3.5 will never be able to do what a 10 gauge 3.5 does.

Comment

and if you don't believe me go to the Hodgdon website and look up the had loads. Now that being said I paid 25 dollars a box for my last 10 gauge steel duck loads when I could buy 12 for about 15. So price per kill is a lot higher on birds, BUT if you use it for turkey hunting or something where you don't shoot as much as duck then it won't be as bad. Seriously though you'll get 50 to 100 FPS faster out of a 10 on comparable loads.

Comment

I shoot 12 ga 3.5 inch and am happy with the results as is my son. However guys who are really into it tell me that the pattern boards clearly demonstrate better performance from the 10 gauge. Apparently the shot string is not as long and is more consistent throughout the pattern. I've never chronyed either so can't speak for the velocities. Take you pick and keep shooting.

Comment

I shoot a 12 3.5 inch and have a friend that shoots a 10 3.5 inch. I almost always get more geese, of couse it could be that he can't hit a bull in the ass with a scoop shovel. I've thought about getting a 10 but I just don't want to pay that much for shells.

Comment

10 GA 3.5?

Now thats "AAA"!

One shot, one limit! LOL!!!

Comment

for waterfowl you can't beat a 3.5 12 they just don't hot load the ten like they used to.

Comment

I'll agree with the Idduckhnter they don't load them as hot as they used to, the 10 will smoke a 12 anyday in any load but if you really want to ring out the best of either you will have to hand load them. Once again Hodgdon.

Comment

i will go with a 12ga with 3.5 inch shells every time.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

I believe in the 3.5" 12. I don't shoot 3.5" shells unless its large geese or turkeys. And I know that the extra payload and speed make a difference. And yes I have a 3.5" reloader on my list to Santa because I am not happy with what I can buy. I prefer 1-9/16 load of T's for large geese but it is getting tougher and tougher to find it so I will have to build it. There is only a couple pellet difference between my T's in a 12ga and a 10ga - I think for the money and versatility I will stay with my 3.5" 12 gauge guns of which I have 3.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                          by franchi20
                          I've wondered about the guests on the Q&A site. I think it includes visitors the main page who never see the Q&A. It's an overall count of who...
                          Today, 07:40 PM
                        • Debate #2: new rules
                          by FirstBubba
                          New debate rules change.

Moderator controlled "mute" button.

Who made the request?
                          The "Biden Campaign"!...
                          10-02-2020, 02:10 PM
                        • Reply to What's after Trump?
                          by franchi20
                          Speculation is good mental exercise, but I think it's way too early to worry about the next one while fraught with worry about the crap surrounding this...
                          Today, 07:34 PM
                        • What's after Trump?
                          by FirstBubba
                          No doubt, Trump will prevail Nov 4th.
                          There is no more FDR and Congress eventually enforced the laws restricting a president to a 2 term limit....
                          Today, 01:46 PM
                        • Reply to So is everyone ready for deer season
                          by fitch270
                          The kids have already put two deer in the freezer this year so we're pretty well set. I've been out with the bow just once for an evening sit and saw...
                          Today, 07:01 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X