Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O.k. this is a follow up on the turkey load question of mine. What exactly does the extra half inch (2 1/2 or 3 inch)of shell gi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.k. this is a follow up on the turkey load question of mine. What exactly does the extra half inch (2 1/2 or 3 inch)of shell gi

O.k. this is a follow up on the turkey load question of mine. What exactly does the extra half inch (2 1/2 or 3 inch)of shell give you, more powder for more distance, or more pellets?

It will give you some of both. It's only 1/4 of an inch different, your standard shot shell is 2 3/4. I know it doesn't sound like much but you will notice a differene.

Comment

I have to agree with rrmont, the 3" will give you both, because you need more powder to move the extra shot. I've loaded 2 3/4" with 1 1/4 oz of shot, and others with 1 oz shot. Depends on the load and what you want it to use it for. I've loaded 3" shells with 1 3/8oz load, and had the same recoil as my target loads. really depends on how fast you want the shot to travel and how hard you want it to hit, along with how much shot you want to hit the target.

Comment

The two previous comments are absolutely correct, but I would just like to add that while it should state on the shell or the box the amount of pellets (in oz) and the powder charge (either indirectly in fps or with the weight of the powder), and that specifically for turkeys, I would assume that you would want more pellets rather than a faster delivery. This is because the target is generally stationary (as opposed to wingshooting) and the optimum load would deliver the most number of pellets as possible to the target.

Comment

All of the above is correct which is why I shoot 3.5" shells for the turks.

Comment

The extra 1/2" can give you more powder, more shot, and more distance, depending on how the shell is loaded. Obviously, the shell's volume is increased so you can physically fit more powder and shot in it. The ratio of additional powder to shot will determine the distance. If you theoretically filled all that extra volume with powder (don't try this, it would probably exceed the maximum pressure) and kept the same amount of shot, that shot would have a significantly higher muzzle velocity, meaning more distance. Oppositely, if you filled all that extra volume with shot (this might also exceed the maximum pressure) and kept the same amount of powder, the muzzle velocity would be decreased, likely decreasing distance (distance depends on more than just muzzle velocity, so I can't say for sure).

Go to Hodgdon.com and check out their Reloading Data Center to find data for 2 1/2" and 3" shells. You can compare the shot weight, powder weight, and muzzle velocity of different shells. Some quick numbers from the site:
            2 1/2" shell, 1 oz shot, 19 gr powder, 1180 ft/s
            2 1/2" shell, 1 oz shot, 22 gr powder, 1300 ft/s
            3" shell, 1 3/8 oz shot, 35.5 gr powder, 1295 ft/s
            3" shell, 1 7/8 oz shot, 35.5 gr powder, 1100 ft/s

(Don't use the above data to reload anything because those numbers are for specific types of powder.)

Comment

I agree with Far Rider. Short answer go to Hodgdon.com and check it out yourself. YOu can manipulate anything you want and if you like the results print it, go to the store, pick it up and roll your own. You CAN get 3" magnum results out of 2 3/4 the only thing to remember is that you can increase lenght but you can't increase girth, Ie a 20 gauge will never shoot as much lead or as fast a 12 with the same load and a 12 won't touch a 10. People with the 3 1/2s will tell you all day that they will shoot as much lead but they will never shoot as much at the same velocity!

Comment

In the case of the 3.5 a little more shot (in some loads) and a little more velocity.

Comment

Agreed with Far Rider!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                    by 99explorer
                    CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                    Anybody
                    Today, 01:09 AM
                  • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                    by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                    Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                  • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                    by 99explorer
                    Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                    Today, 12:57 AM
                  • The George Floyd case.
                    by FirstBubba
                    Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                    Minnesota...
                    Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                  • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                    by crm3006
                    My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                    Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X