Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've never been turkey hunting, and Im going this spring. What gear do you need for turkey hunting? I don't have that much money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've never been turkey hunting, and Im going this spring. What gear do you need for turkey hunting? I don't have that much money

I've never been turkey hunting, and Im going this spring. What gear do you need for turkey hunting? I don't have that much money, but basically what's the most important things you need?

All you need is a hen and some calls

Comment

You need camo for your entire body, an decent shotgun with a tight choke. Learn to call well before the season opens. I use a hen decoy I picked up cheap. Thats really all you need.

Comment

It goes without saying that you need a shotgun with ammo to match. I'm assuming you have at least a decent understanding and knowledge of firearms. You will need camo to cover everything. Gloves, facemask, hat, and boots all need to be camo or a very matte, natural looking color. You will obviously need calls and the knowledge of how to use them. Look for videos by Will Primos on calling. You may or may not want a vest and various other accessories.

Comment

It goes without saying that you need a shotgun with ammo to match. I'm assuming you have at least a decent understanding and knowledge of firearms. You will need camo to cover everything. Gloves, facemask, hat, and boots all need to be camo or a very matte, natural looking color. You will obviously need calls and the knowledge of how to use them. Look for videos by Will Primos on calling. You may or may not want a vest and various other accessories.

Comment

Comment

If you have a portable blind you don't need the camo, but try to wear black if the interior is black. Pattern your gun and loads to figure your range. Or, use a bow (best in a blind).

Mouth/diaphram calls are cheap, but some people never learn to use them. Quaker EZ-Yelper might be an easy friction call to start with. Try to find an experienced hunter to go with you - he/she probably has a chest full of calls already and places to hunt.

Most important - hunt where there are turkey. Scout, talk to friends, farmers, wildlife biologists, etc. Addicting game. Enjoy!

Comment

Good camo to cover body, head and hands. Shotgun that delivers a tight pattern and a load that patterns well to 40 yards. Call wise you can get by with a slate or glass type friciton call. They are easy to learn and easy to use in the field. Maps of your hunting area also help. 80% of turkey hunting is woodscraft.

Comment

I have had about a dozen decoys over the years and have just about quit using them. The other advice is good but I would say lose the decoy and always set up in a place where the turkey is in range when you see him and he sees where the hen (you) is supposed to be. In my experience a decoy in the open will often result in a Gobbler strutting out of range trying to call the "Hen " him. Click my username then open my photos and check the Gobblers out. Most were shot without a decoy.

Comment

Good advice posted above. I would suggest a variety of calls, because one might work that day and the other one doesn't. Mouth call, box call, slate call, etc....

Comment

First time i went hunting, i just used the camo i had for deer hunting (body and mask), a lynch's foolproof ox call, and my shotgun with a factory full choke that came with the gun. nothing fancy or special and called in a gobbler to 7 yards. you dont need everything when you start as long as you get out there and give it a shot is all that matters

Comment

Full camo, a good shotgun, a call ( the box call from wal-mart worked good for me to learn with and got the job done)but would be a good idea to have a couple calls, and lots of patience.

Comment

12 gauge Mossburg 835, a Cabelas vest will keep your butt comfortable and have killed turkeys in Blue Jeans. Army BDUs will be the cheapest camo. Get a good pair of boots as you'll be walking a lot. I started out with the paint sticks, but you can get cheap paint that won't take you skin off these days. find a call and get good with it then get another one next year. The push button bock calls are BY FAR the easiest, followed by box, slate, and mouth. Primos of course makes a good one. Things to work on, do a lot of scouting, get there early and stay. Try to locate (roost) turks the night before then be there when they fly down.

Have Fun, that's the MAIN THING!

Comment

Well you don't really need anything if you buddy can supply most of it for you but if he can't, i would suggest getting some turkey calls... mouth callas and box calls and slate calls and learning how to use them, then i would look into getting a gun, a mossberg turkey gun or remington should do just fine. Also i would try to spend some money buying some good camo because turkey have great eyes and you need something that will really conceal you. Lastly, if your money supply permits, i would get a good box of turkey loads and a hen decoy. Having a turkey vest and a cushioned seat is all extra and un-needed but does make things a lot more comfortable.

Comment

Agreed with Del in KS answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..." Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog where nobody...
                                Today, 04:39 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by 99explorer
                                Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                                Today, 03:02 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                                Today, 02:39 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                I am most pleased with the Barrett confirmation, now we only need to see the fallout from the D’s. With the reelection of Trump, probably not too much...
                                Today, 01:18 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X