Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often if ever do you pass up a shot on any game because it is debateble if you will hit it, or if it will be a quick and pai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often if ever do you pass up a shot on any game because it is debateble if you will hit it, or if it will be a quick and pai

How often if ever do you pass up a shot on any game because it is debateble if you will hit it, or if it will be a quick and painless kill shot, or just because you dont feel like taking a life that day?

Everytime the shot is in debate for a clean kill I pass. I pass on alot of shots for various reasons I never thought of it that I just did not want to take a life. I just find a reason to pass like; too young, too small, etc.

Comment

Good question, something everybody needs to consider when they hunt. I have passed up several shots at deer w/ the bow because of distance, angle, debris in the way or whatever. I think we owe it to the animals we harvest.

Comment

I haven't kept count, but I have done it if the range is too great or I can't "see" the shot (e.g., I can see the head or tail but the vital area is hidden by a tree or rock).
        It has been a while, but I once passed up a shot because a well-nourished whitetail buck was too fine an animal to kill. It occurred to me that this buck deserved to sire a dozen others just like him. I smiled and thought, "I'll take you another day, when you're an old b-----d with more mileage."
        It was early in the season and I doubted another hunter would pass up a shot on him, but it wasn't my day to take him. I simply observed his nervous behavior and the sight of him is still a good memory.

Comment

If you force a shot and possibly wound the animal and it gets away you feel horrible and mad at yourself but if you pass you can always come back.

Comment

This year was my worst. I passed up really nice mule deer that was in range but it was on the sky line.

Comment

It happens to me all of the time - mostly with a bow. I will not take a shot that I am not confident that I will make.

Comment

Agreed with teufelhunden answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad