Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your opinion on trophy hunting? Along the lines of hunting lions in Africa. I find it hardly ethical to shoot an animal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your opinion on trophy hunting? Along the lines of hunting lions in Africa. I find it hardly ethical to shoot an animal

What is your opinion on trophy hunting? Along the lines of hunting lions in Africa. I find it hardly ethical to shoot an animal unless it poses a threat or I plan on eating it (I still plan on eating a huge buck that I mount on my wall). I'm not sure I'd be enthralled to eat lion. What say you?

The animals we hunt but don't eat are mostly large and dangerous and/or predators. I don't have a problem with hunting them. Heck, hunting Grizzley in Alaska was the biggest rush I ever had.

Comment

I have a friend that goes to Africa to hunt every couple of years and he said that the PH will ask them to shoot certian animals so the village can have the meat. Two yrs ago he shot a giraffe, he didn't go there to shot one but they asked him to, The PH said that the village really needed the meat. My friend says that no meat goes to waste over there, so I really don't have a problem with a hunter shooting what ever they want there.

Comment

I'm not into it personally, but if the meat is utilized by the locals or needy, and the local economy benefits, Trophy hunting is ok, so long as the target species is sustainable. I do not believe in wasting an animal to add to a trophy collection. Predators and nuiscance populations SHOULD be managed by hunters whenever/wherever it's prudent.

Comment

As with any species, there must be a balance. You can say that shooting Bamby is unethical that it poses no harm to anyone or does it?

Ok, let’s have it your way like, in 1906 President Theodore Roosevelt established the Grand Canyon National Game Preserve on the Kaibab Plateau.

Guess what the result was?!?

The following link is not for the intellectually challenged!

http://depts.alverno.edu/nsmt/youngcc/research/kaibab/kaibab.html

PETA would think they have died and went to heaven……. NOT!!!!

Comment

Clay, I'm not talking about deer.

Comment

So by that argument when America was discovered colonists would have starved because animal populations were not controlled by anyone and all species had depleted all food sources and died out. And I doubt the Native Americans had a management plan. They killed what they needed to survive.

Call me a tree hugger but the only reason any species' population needs to be controlled is because of human intervention. They have survived centuries without our help. Loss of habitat, urban sprawl. I know its a fact of life but without us they would be just fine.

Comment

I dont have a problem with the hunting of dangerous predetors,I know of alot of people here in Idaho that hunt mountain lion and say it is some of the best meat around and some of the best chops and breakfast sausage I've had was black bear when I lived in Alaska.Del in KS did you try your grizz? I think they taste alot like pork.

Comment

What I'm trying to get at is killing animals you're not going to eat. Do the people who hunt more exotic animals eat them? I understand eating bears and maybe mountain lion, definitely deer and animals like deer.

Comment

I agree with your basic premise...The natives here in Alaska often point out that "you cant eat antlers"...I wont kill another grizzly unless its in defense of my life or property, theyre just not very tasty in my opinion...

Comment

Wouldn't mine tyring lion

Comment

I dont have a problem with people going to africa and trophy hunting as long as someone is using the meat from the animal. wether it be the hunter or a near by village.

Comment

I've got no problem with it.

Comment

As long as the meat is being used and it is fair chase I have no problem with it. I don't know if I could do it myself, but I don't think its wrong.

Comment

being a generally beginner in the big game thing, I can't afford to pass up anything legal. Maybe in a few years when my freezer runneth over I can pass up shots in order to get a bigger rack but if I can't eat it I'm not going to shoot it (unless it's a varmint, different situation).

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad