No announcement yet.

Why does ammo cost so much now, 4 years ago it was 1/4th of the price it is now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does ammo cost so much now, 4 years ago it was 1/4th of the price it is now

Why does ammo cost so much now, 4 years ago it was 1/4th of the price it is now

The cost of lead, copper and other metal has gone way up.

Comment

The commodities market usually dictates price fluctuations in ammunition.

Comment

Del is right on the prices of metal, and you can bet that the manufacturer's, aren't going to eat the difference. They know that we are still going to hunt and will pay the prices.

Comment

The cost of almost all kind of metals has been drastically changed. you get almost nothing at a scrapyard anymore.

Nate

Comment

Ditto for Del. Cost of metals has gone up alsong with higher fuel costs which have increased production and shipping costs. As these cost come back down I bet we won't see much of a cost reduciton.

Comment

I figured the war had something to do with it too. Less lead and powder to go around.

Comment

Economy is getting bad so everything to make the bullets is getting higher so retail stores have to raise the price in order to make a profit.

Comment

Materials costs and the economy. My flytying stuff has gone up too.

Comment

One word: China, their booming (okay, before the world tanked) economy was sucking up as much raw materials as they could get their hands on. Now? The current administration. You can't get a box of anything common in the local Sportsman's Warehouse (unless you consider .44 rimfire common).

Comment

I just don't understand --if metals are costing more, why are junkyards paying less? I would think they'd be paying more, because they can get more for it.

As to the idea that the current administration is curtailing ammo production, I hear that Remington and other ammo manufacturers are operating at 120% capacity now. Where is it all going? Are people just hoarding, on top of other market forces?

Comment

Materials scarcity and unprecedented demand.

Comment

Have you forgotten the USA is still fighting 2 wars one in Iraq & one in Afghanistan? Where do you think the ammo is coming from that we use on those 2 fronts? It is coming from the available pool of Ammo we have here and then the cost rises for those not buying in bulk (like the US Govt is) . What war have you known our nation to have when the supply of something didn't get rationed or become MORE expensive because of the ongoing war? It always happens..There is a demand for bullets and the materials to make bullets during wartime.. that demand makes the prices rise. Who said we don't pay a price for war?

Comment

Have you forgotten the USA is still fighting 2 wars one in Iraq & one in Afghanistan? Where do you think the ammo is coming from that we use on those 2 fronts? It is coming from the available pool of Ammo we have here and then the cost rises for those not buying in bulk (like the US Govt is) . What war have you known our nation to have when the supply of something didn't get rationed or become MORE expensive because of the ongoing war? It always happens..There is a demand for bullets and the materials to make bullets during wartime.. that demand makes the prices rise. Who said we don't pay a price for war?

Comment

Supply and Demand!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                                by jhjimbo
                                What kind of powder was your friend using and didn't he ever clean it ?...
                                Today, 01:16 PM
                              • Another New Upper
                                by DakotaMan
                                Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                                Today, 12:54 PM
                              • Reply to Another New Upper
                                by FirstBubba
                                Smooth lookin' AR D'Man!
                                Let us know how it shoots. 😃!
                                Today, 01:12 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                I have the mad canadian blocked, all I know is he should get an apt. with a Psychiatrist.
                                He should get a life, shooting geese and pheasant do not...
                                Today, 01:11 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X