No announcement yet.

Predator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was teasing down through a bottom before daylight. I "knew" where I was going, so I wasn't using a flashlight.
    I stopped and leaned my rifle against a wrist thick pin oak sapling to free both hands.
    I bumped the sapling when I picked up my rifle, eliciting a shocked ...AND... unexpected "OOOOO-WAHHH!" of a Horned Owl I had disturbed on it's roost!
    Yes sir! My cap did a dance on top of my head! 🤯!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
      I was teasing down through a bottom before daylight. I "knew" where I was going, so I wasn't using a flashlight.
      I stopped and leaned my rifle against a wrist thick pin oak sapling to free both hands.
      I bumped the sapling when I picked up my rifle, eliciting a shocked ...AND... unexpected "OOOOO-WAHHH!" of a Horned Owl I had disturbed on it's roost!
      Yes sir! My cap did a dance on top of my head! 🤯!
      I love that OOOO-Wahhh. I've only heard it a couple times. Mostly what we have around here are the barred owls, "Who cooks for you?" They really belt it out; when you're close up it's impressive.

It's funny how tom turkeys will shock-gobble to barred owl calls used by hunters, but I have never heard a gobble in response to a real barred-owl call. I hear barred owls all the time, in woods where I know there are turkeys -- never a gobble afterward. But I know they work as locator calls. Just another turkey mystery, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

I love that OOOO-Wahhh. I've only heard it a couple times. Mostly what we have around here are the barred owls, "Who cooks for you?" They really belt it out; when you're close up it's impressive.

It's funny how tom turkeys will shock-gobble to barred owl calls used by hunters, but I have never heard a gobble in response to a real barred-owl call. I hear barred owls all the time, in woods where I know there are turkeys -- never a gobble afterward. But I know they work as locator calls. Just another turkey mystery, I suppose.
        MattM37, I have crow calls, woodpecker calls, hoot tubes and gobble tubes! Not the first one has ever gotten me a gobble! LOL!

The VERY first turkey I called in.....

I had NO idea what I was doing. I had ridden my 4 wheeler all over my hunting area and had no luck.
        Didn't see anything.
        Didn't hear anything.
        I was sitting on a log, wondering what I could do.
        I was about a half mile from a major, local highway. One of those box delivery trucks with a roll up door was going by.
        I know you've seen those trucks with the door bumping up and down when they hit a bump!
        It dawned on me, every time the door bumped, a tom would shock gobble!
        I ran around to a pond dam, set up and began calling.
        Two gobblers came around the dam and stopped.
        I shot at the first bird. He jumped and ran into the weeds.
        The second bird just stood there. I reloaded and shot at him!
        Same effect!
        Reloading, I watched where the birds came from, thinking they would retreat the same route.
        That's when the first bird flopped limply into the bottom of the dry pond and lay there!
        Down the pond dam, around a mesquite tree, open the gate and around the end of the dam!
        What's that?
        A dark form lay in the weeds just off the edge of the wheat field.
        It was the other bird!
        First hunt.
        First time calling!
        ....and I limit out on the first hunt! 😃

Not good, just lucky! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

MattM37, I have crow calls, woodpecker calls, hoot tubes and gobble tubes! Not the first one has ever gotten me a gobble! LOL!

The VERY first turkey I called in.....

I had NO idea what I was doing. I had ridden my 4 wheeler all over my hunting area and had no luck.
          Didn't see anything.
          Didn't hear anything.
          I was sitting on a log, wondering what I could do.
          I was about a half mile from a major, local highway. One of those box delivery trucks with a roll up door was going by.
          I know you've seen those trucks with the door bumping up and down when they hit a bump!
          It dawned on me, every time the door bumped, a tom would shock gobble!
          I ran around to a pond dam, set up and began calling.
          Two gobblers came around the dam and stopped.
          I shot at the first bird. He jumped and ran into the weeds.
          The second bird just stood there. I reloaded and shot at him!
          Same effect!
          Reloading, I watched where the birds came from, thinking they would retreat the same route.
          That's when the first bird flopped limply into the bottom of the dry pond and lay there!
          Down the pond dam, around a mesquite tree, open the gate and around the end of the dam!
          What's that?
          A dark form lay in the weeds just off the edge of the wheat field.
          It was the other bird!
          First hunt.
          First time calling!
          ....and I limit out on the first hunt! 😃

Not good, just lucky! LOL!
          Good story! We can only shoot one per day in NY, two total for the month. They used to have it one bird in the first half of the month, second bird in the second half, but now it's just two birds, one per day, whenever.

In the fall, we are now down to just one bird total for the season (shortened), but it used to be two for the season and no law against getting them both on the same day. Sometimes you'd hear about a guy filling both tags with one shot.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

Good story! We can only shoot one per day in NY, two total for the month. They used to have it one bird in the first half of the month, second bird in the second half, but now it's just two birds, one per day, whenever.

In the fall, we are now down to just one bird total for the season (shortened), but it used to be two for the season and no law against getting them both on the same day. Sometimes you'd hear about a guy filling both tags with one shot.
            Oklahoma is down to 1 bird fall, 1 bird spring.
            Our season has always been Apr 6-May 6.
            Season is now Apr16-May 16.
            The later season cutd hunters out of the "rut"!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Georgia Primary (this one looks to be fun)
              by Grete
              Thank you for that, I do. Now we are together on the same page....
              Today, 04:30 PM
            • Georgia Primary (this one looks to be fun)
              by rock rat
              The big race people are watching is sitting governor Kemp vs Perdue. Just to refresh your memory ... back in November 2020 Trump wanted Kemp to "find"...
              Today, 08:55 AM
            • Reply to Fawns
              by MattM37
              Same here, fields are empty even at dusk, but I think it's because there's lots of new stuff budding and growing back in the woods now. Plus a lot of...
              Today, 01:23 PM
            • Fawns
              by MattM37
              How's your local herd doing? Around here I seldom see many fawns in May, but everything seems to be a couple-three weeks ahead of schedule and we'll...
              Yesterday, 07:21 PM
            • Reply to The Constitution or The Big Lie?
              by Pmacc60
              yes we elect by voting but We want that vote to be legit , we want the vote to be real and honest. I did not have faith in the election process in 2020...
              Today, 12:25 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X