X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Originally posted by rock rat View Post

The same attitude that gives rise to the "who could give a fudge" about covid is at work with hunting. If it doesn't directly curtail one's own type of hunting, people just don't care. I don't hunt Washington State. I don't hunt bear. Why should I care.

Can you tell I didn't get an elk this year? Sourpuss is me.
    I’ll bet all the non-resident hunters that come to Washington State could all ride on the same bus.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    I see that in the general media now, groups like Wild Earth Guardians are always referred to as conservationists. Good grief, I remember even my science teacher, back in the 80s, talking about the difference between conservation and preservation. Another re-definition that won't do us or the natural world any good.

I think most of us outdoorsmen have due respect for Native American life as it was, but today's romanticism and politics are ridiculous.

In his book about the American buffalo, Steven Rinella makes a great point about the Native Americans. That romantic notion that they "used every single part" of the animals they killed is pure nonsense. It was more like, "They had a use for every single part;" they sure as heck weren't taking every single thing from every single critter. I mean, heck, how many buffalo-bladder water carriers did one family need? Or carry?

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Danbo View Post

https://www.uticaod.com/story/sports...la/8907577002/

We as sportsman are just finding out about this bill. It has already passed and is awaiting the NY Governor's signature.

They will devastate the Oneida lake Walleye fishery. (And other waters)

Now this bill has nothing to do with free licenses, natives already get them free. This is bill would basically allow them to take whatever they want in season or out of season.
    A relative lived in Washington said when a tribe brought in a catch they would leave it to spoil.

Leave a comment:

• Danbo
    replied
    Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
    WDFW and tribes just cut off steelhead fishing on many Olympic Peninsula rivers. Anytime the tribes are involved, it’s a fishy deal. I gave up fishing Washington years ago, sold boats, don’t buy any licenses.
    https://www.uticaod.com/story/sports...la/8907577002/

We as sportsman are just finding out about this bill. It has already passed and is awaiting the NY Governor's signature.

They will devastate the Oneida lake Walleye fishery. (And other waters)

Now this bill has nothing to do with free licenses, natives already get them free. This is bill would basically allow them to take whatever they want in season or out of season.

Leave a comment:

• rock rat
    replied
    I've never shot a bear, but I've heard the meat is sometimes good, sometimes best for sausage, with spring bear being the best tasting.

We lost our spring bear season a long time ago. We also can't use foothold or conibear traps, only those cage traps. Our new governor has a first guy not a first lady, and that first guy is a radical animal rights guy. Anti meat eater, anti ranch, anti feedlot, and anti hunting. They helped push through the wolf reintroduction ballot measure that won by less than a percent and they made it a priority for our Fish and Wildlife.

On our commission there's an outfitter, and a rancher or farmer or two, but all new appointees are recreationists, not hunters and nothing to do with supporting hunting, which they don't. One was a multi decade attorney for Wild Earth Guardians or similar.

All states are losing on hunting. Most 2A supporters are the same as the general public re hunting. They think we are "trophy hunters". They call us "Fudds" after Elmer Fudd in Bugs Bunny.

The same attitude that gives rise to the "who could give a fudge" about covid is at work with hunting. If it doesn't directly curtail one's own type of hunting, people just don't care. I don't hunt Washington State. I don't hunt bear. Why should I care.

Can you tell I didn't get an elk this year? Sourpuss is me.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    I have some black bears passing through my place - probably young males looking for their own territory. They come from PA and probably wind up in WVA. No season for them in Ohio.
    Jim, do you think you might actually have a resident population? The "young males passing through" was the standard line in CNY for many years ... until someone saw and got some photos of a sow with cubs. Our population is sparse but it's there. We've had a season for about 10 years now. I saw a big bruiser last summer coming out of a cornfield -- my first sighting here in my home area.

Of course you would know your home turf, but figured I'd just throw that out there.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    I have some black bears passing through my place - probably young males looking for their own territory. They come from PA and probably wind up in WVA. No season for them in Ohio.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    WDFW and tribes just cut off steelhead fishing on many Olympic Peninsula rivers. Anytime the tribes are involved, it’s a fishy deal. I gave up fishing Washington years ago, sold boats, don’t buy any licenses.

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
    Liberals appointed to the Game Commission which is chaired by a democrat stooge Larry Carpenter of Mount Vernon….
    “Liberals appointed to the game commission”.

This factor is one of the most dangerous happenings that is taking place in the fight of our hunting rights ! There have been several instances where anti hunting liberals have been either elected or purposely placed on game commission boards and are destroying hunting rights from the inside of these commissions ! When these commissions are no longer working for us, but against their intended purpose, we are in very deep waters. How this is to be defeated........I have no idea!

Leave a comment:

• Pmacc60
    replied
    It’s sad how just four people can stop spring bear hunting in Washington state , watch out because this is a cancer and the anti hunting groups are paying attention .Every hunter who hears about this should weigh in to Washington states game commission because much like gun control we need to protect others rights and stop these clowns and their personal agenda!

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Liberals appointed to the Game Commission which is chaired by a democrat stooge Larry Carpenter of Mount Vernon….

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Gary Devine used to complain about bear huntig in N.J.
    Yep, the anti crowd is pretty rabid down there. I remember that Gary and his brother used to speak at the public meetings about the bear hunts; probably still do.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Gary Devine used to complain about bear huntig in N.J.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    started a topic Anti-Hunters Win

Anti-Hunters Win

Spring Bear Hunts Cancelled in Washington State | MeatEater Conservation (themeateater.com)

I wonder what'll be next?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad