Bcg 280ai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bcg 280ai

BCG 280 Ackley Improved XP-100. This custom XP-100 shoots so good, and everyone who has shot it loves it.
    I finally was able to draw first blood with it on Friday morning. I used the 140 grain Accubond at 2961 ft./s. I set the magnification between seven and eight power, since I expected a close shot, and wanted a greater field of view. I also checked my parallax adjustment as well.
    The beauty of the country we live in is, you can see forever, but at times it can be challenging, because they can see you too. It took me some time to figure out how to be able to make the stalk, and him not see me. I had terrain (creek bottom) and sage brush in my advantage, but the wind was almost coming from my back, so I knew there was a chance that could create a problem.
    I had to be exposed slightly for a short period of time, before I got down into the creek/draw bottom, but I was far enough away, and he was looking the other direction, so it was not a problem.
    I shot this buck at 204 yards. I crawled around 150 yards and then stomach crawled somewhere between 35 and 50 yards to make the shot. I had an opening in the sagebrush to my left, and I had almost made it to the stage, when the buck started moving to my left. Since I was on public\state land, and in a little bit he was going to be crossing on to private land, it was time to get things done.
    The gun is so capable of shooting so much further, but the stalk was fun.
    I am looking forward to shooting the 160 class bullets out of this, and see how it compares with my 284 Winchester XP-100’s.
    I shot the top of his heart out
    Click image for larger version  Name:	D818968B-C970-4255-92B0-855B8325972C.jpeg Views:	11 Size:	2.94 MB ID:	783621
    Click image for larger version  Name:	824B9520-9969-4368-98F7-5642867BC7DD.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	3.90 MB ID:	783623
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ernie; 10-23-2021, 04:42 PM.

Congratulations Ernie thanks for sharing.

How is the meat on pronghorn compared to venison?

Comment

We do not like it as much as venison

Comment

Congratulations Ernie! Nice buck. You've got me thinking about a pistol project. You have some fine pistols indeed. Antelope is my favorite meat. Way above venison and similar to a young beef fillet. You really have to take great care of the animal though. I field dress them immediately (inclidoing removal of the scent glands) and prop it open in the shade for a couple of hours. Then I take it to a cool hanging spot until evening. I skin and quarter the first evening. I burn any hairs off with a propane torch. I let it cool overnight by laying the quarters on the 45 degree garage floor covered in clean plastic. The next morning I freeze the quarters and keep it that way. until I'm ready to cut and package. The trick is to use no water on it. I usually carry a 4 foot freezer to the hunting site and plug it in as near as possible for the freezing.

I see so many guys hauling their antelope around in the back of their truck all day with the hot sun burning down on it. Doing that ruins the meat and makes it taste like sage brush. If you just treat it with as much care as you would a prime Angus steer, it will make many a fine meal and it will taste better than the steer.
        Last edited by DakotaMan; 10-24-2021, 12:22 PM.

Comment

"BCG" in the AR world stands for "bolt carrier group".

You refer to the cartridge as the BCG .280 AI.
          What does the "BCG" stand for?

Comment

BCG=Bayside Custom Gunworks.
            https://baysidecustomgunworks.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
              BCG=Bayside Custom Gunworks.
              https://baysidecustomgunworks.com/
              Gotcha!

BTW! Nice "speed goat"! Congrats!

Comment

Thanks Guys!

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Nice goat, nice rig! Speed goats make great chili. Just don't add sage!

Comment

Thanks Guys!
                      When I was dealing with a gunsmith he wanted to make me either a 6.5X06 or a .280AI. I wish I had him make me the .280AI on a left hand Mod 700. He is gone now and I really miss him.

Comment

Thanks Guys!
                        This is from my Mauser 3000, left hand .280. I may have shown you this.
                        Very windy that day so I kept to 50yd Click image for larger version  Name:	Mauser .280 target.jpg Views:	0 Size:	546.9 KB ID:	783845

Comment

Nice shooting.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad