Hound Controversy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hound Controversy

As a landowner, or if you were, would you let hounds and their hunters cross your property in pursuit of game? I think the main issue of the article is more about the way the landowner used the incident's videos for his own agenda ... and I found it interesting to learn that Vermont has supposedly open access to unposted private land written into their constitution; and it was news to me that New York is supposedly one of those states, too ....? Overall, seems to be a bunch of different issues here.

https://www.themeateater.com/conserv...n-social-media

The way itโ€™s been explained to me is that in NY you canโ€™t be ticketed for trespassing on unposted lands unless you are told to leave and donโ€™t. Not being posted doesnโ€™t necessarily give you automatic permission.

Comment

Wow! Shall I get up on my soap box now? LOL!

I don't have a problem with bird hunters. They have "some" control of their dogs.
      Got beagle dogs and want to run rabbits. Let them little buggers go. They are pretty benign.

NOW! We have coyote "hunters"!
      Let me explain that due to the 1904 Oklahoma Land Rush, all land is laid out in sections or a square mile.
      These coyote "hunters" (and I use that term loosely) drive the roads with dog boxes on their trucks.
      They drive around shooting a .22 into the ditch or use a siren to jump a coyote!
      THAT can be a bit disconcerting at 7 o'clock in the morning!
      When they jump a coyote, they turn their scent hounds loose (dogs don't care about property lines!) to run the coyote until it tires.
      Once it tires, they turn their cursed greyhounds loose.
      The big thrill is to watch the greyhounds catch and rend (kill) the coyote.
      Once the kill is made, these guys just hop your fence or drive through the nearest gate to get their dogs back. No permission requested.
      Greyhounds are "sight" hounds. When they spot a 'yote, they take off in a dead run.
      If a couple of running dogs spook livestock that runs through a fence or harms itself in any other manner, these guys won't take responsibility.
      I've called the WCO on numerous occasions.
      By the time they get here, those guys are miles away.
      Unless the WCO actually "catches" them in the act of something illegal, they can't touch them.
      There is no law against driving around with a dog box loaded with dogs.

๐Ÿคฏ๐Ÿ˜–
      Last edited by FirstBubba; 10-22-2021, 09:38 PM.

Comment

I have 17 acres in the east and I've never posted it, haven't even looked at it in 12 years. Water, good cover, bear and deer. Totally legal to hunt.

Out here trespass is second only to rustling and horse theft in list of hanging offences.

Will trade access for same in CO ๐Ÿ˜€

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
          Wow! Shall I get up on my soap box now? LOL!

I don't have a problem with bird hunters. They have "some" control of their dogs.
          Got beagle dogs and want to run rabbits. Let them little buggers go. They are pretty benign.

NOW! We have coyote "hunters"!
          Let me explain that due to the 1904 Oklahoma Land Rush, all land is laid out in sections or a square mile.
          These coyote "hunters" (and I use that term loosely) drive the roads with dog boxes on their trucks.
          They drive around shooting a .22 into the ditch or use a siren to jump a coyote!
          THAT can be a bit disconcerting at 7 o'clock in the morning!
          When they jump a coyote, they turn their scent hounds loose (dogs don't care about property lines!) to run the coyote until it tires.
          Once it tires, they turn their cursed greyhounds loose.
          The big thrill is to watch the greyhounds catch and rend (kill) the coyote.
          Once the kill is made, these guys just hop your fence or drive through the nearest gate to get their dogs back. No permission requested.
          Greyhounds are "sight" hounds. When they spot a 'yote, they take off in a dead run.
          If a couple of running dogs spook livestock that runs through a fence or harms itself in any other manner, these guys won't take responsibility.
          I've called the WCO on numerous occasions.
          By the time they get here, those guys are miles away.
          Unless the WCO actually "catches" them in the act of something illegal, they can't touch them.
          There is no law against driving around with a dog box loaded with dogs.

๐Ÿคฏ๐Ÿ˜–
          Did you get your section in 1904? ๐Ÿ˜

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

Did you get your section in 1904? ๐Ÿ˜
            The property we currently occupy was claimed by my wife's great grandfather in 1904.
            He originally claimed 80 acres and that's what we still hold.

The claim was signed by Theodore Roosevelt.....but I have a feeling it was signed by "auto-pen" or some such. Not actually his signature.
            ...and yes, we still have the original, 1904 claim/deed.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad