4 x 16, FFP Scope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 x 16, FFP Scope

Finally got my new scope mounted on my Weatherby Mk V, .340Mag. 4 x 16, FFP with MOA lluminated reticle. Can't wait to try it out. Wtill have to shoot right handed again as left shulder still not 100%. Pic is new scope and also strikman practice shooting. Cara, min. poodle, fell asleep waiting for her turn. She likes to be in everything, that is her butt, see red collar. Target is .340Mag from previous Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0859.JPG Views:	0 Size:	589.7 KB ID:	782460 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3527.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.37 MB ID:	782461 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0798.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.00 MB ID:	782462 shooting session shooting from right shoulder off hand.
    The rig weighs in at 11 3/4 empty, no brake and no sling. Guess I will load only 2 rounds.
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 10-09-2021, 05:11 PM.

I'm curious how well that illuminated scope does in low light and at full, noon daylight.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
      I'm curious how well that illuminated scope does in low light and at full, noon daylight.
      pighunter, I've shot scopes with illuminated reticles.
      I find them useless in daylight.
      I did use a scope that had a reticle that could turn various colors. That did help if the reticle blended in with the background.

Marginal light, if you use a low illumination they can help you find the reticle against a dark background.

Too much illumination and I ended up "blinded by the light" and unable to see much of anything.

I got rid of mine when I decided that if I couldn't see/find the reticle due to low light, it was too dark to be shooting anyway.
      I probably lose the last 30 minutes of light simply because I hate gutting deer in the dark. LOL!
      Big old horny buck? I'll deal with it. A meat doe? Wait until tomorrow.

Comment

I understand about the crosshairs disappearing in bright light. Had one crossbow scope that did that and had to replace it. However, those illuminated reticles are perfect in very low light

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
          However, those illuminated reticles are perfect in very low light
          Yes sir, as long as you don't turn them up too bright.

Like a lot of other things pighunter, whatever works for you.

Comment

I don't believe anything Bubba says. Why turn on illumination in the bright light ? Duh ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              I don't believe anything Bubba says. Why turn on illumination in the bright light ? Duh ?
              Why not post something constructive instead of being critical?

Comment

Sounds nice jimbo. That is a nice looking rig. I have illuminated reticles on several of my varmint and deer rifles. I usually call coyotes in the 30 minutes before sunup and before sundown. I have them illuminated during that time as I typically can't see the reticle without the illumination. I decided to do that long ago when I drove for a couple of days to a 3 day mule deer hunt and had the biggest mule deer I've ever seen in my scope at 200 yards about O-dark-29. I couldn't take that shot because I couldn't see my reticle.

They work great and I've enjoyed them. Unless you hunt early or late, they may not be worth it but I like to be prepared for the worst case. I have a fire-fly reticle in my main hunting rifle and that does not depend on batteries. You can flash your iPhone in the objective lens and it stays lit for a couple of hours.
                Last edited by DakotaMan; 10-10-2021, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                  Sounds nice jimbo. That is a nice looking rig. I have illuminated reticles on several of my varmint and deer rifles. I usually call coyotes in the 30 minutes before sunup and before sundown. I have them illuminated during that time as I typically can't see the reticle without the illumination. I decided to do that long ago when I drove for a couple of days to a 3 day mule deer hunt and had the biggest mule deer I've ever seen in my scope at 200 yards about O-dark-29. I couldn't take that shot because I couldn't see my reticle.

They work great and I've enjoyed them. Unless you hunt early or late, they may not be worth it but I like to be prepared for the worst case. I have a fire-fly reticle in my main hunting rifle and that does not depend on batteries. You can flash your iPhone in the objective lens and it stays lit for a couple of hours.
                  Acme Machine.com is where I got it. Also where I found all steel mounts.
                  I got the MOA reticle
                  4-16x44mm First Focal Plane Hunting Rifle Scope TR-MOA Reticle - ACME Machine
                  Last edited by jhjimbo; 10-10-2021, 09:20 PM.

Comment

I got the MOA reticle
                    Warne makes all steel mounts. And as far as I’m concerned they are great for hunting rifles. I’ve had a set on my .270 for 6 years now no problems. Have a set on my back up 25-06 and had a set until I got a smoking deal on a set of warne mountain lite or something warne aluminum rings and that’s what’s on my weatherby 25-06. Locking key for weaver mounts or picatinny rails and torx head fasteners. I think the steel rings go for less than 50 bucks. Never had to lap a set and never had any issue with slippage. And my .270 probably has over a 1k rounds thru it with them on it.

Comment

I got the MOA reticle
                      Wow... that has a LOT of features for $200. Please let us know what you think of it once you get to shoot it a bit. On some of these first plane reticles are pretty hard to see in low light at the 4X magnification. I hope it works well for you and you enjoy it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad