Hunting High Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PigHunter
    The most I've done hunting on foot is about 9 miles. It was in hills but below 500 ft.

My Ruger American is accurate, was 6.5 lbs from the factory, and cost 1/5 of those pencil barrels.
    PH you are making posts that will not open.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

O.K. I just thought a lot of rifle companies can use any weight barrel they want. I have a Steyer Mannllicher I would not want to shoot 3 or 4 Click image for larger version

Name:	steyr2 001.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	781542 or more times at a target.
      The point is, if the rifle is so finicky you cannot even do load development with it with three shot groups without it turning into a big hassle, is a non-starter for folks who want accuracy and the ability to prove down range drops/point of impact.
      When you have to work that hard to get groups better than 2" at a 100 yards it is very frustrating.
      If you are not shooting beyond 350 yards anyway, accuracy doesn't matter that much, as a 2" rifle at 100 is shooting 7" groups at 350 yards all things being equal (not counting wind or field shooting rests).
      Rifle companies do make light weight rifles that shoot good groups.
      But not all do

Comment

I'm trying to stay away from political conversations as much as possible because of my lack of interest in going back and forth with anyone here. Sometimes I can't help myself but then remember that I don't really care what anyone here thinks about politics.
        Good for you!
        I don't even read the political conversations...

Comment

I have witnessed a number of them shooting quite good out to 500-600 yards.
          Pretty good rifle for the money.
          The one thing I have noticed with rifles (more than one brand) with the Tupperware stocks (that is what I call them) when using a bi-pod, you have to make sure you are not torquing the stock whatsoever, or the forend can end up touching the barrel if you are not careful.

Comment

Sportsman has them for $479, and you even get a picatinny rail to boot.

Comment

I offered to take that poor shooting Mark V lightweight of Dakotaman’s hands when he first whined about its lack of accuracy. 😂😂😂

Comment

Thanks for the tip about the bipod. I've been shooting mine off sandbags but will use a bipod when confirming sight-in for this coming season. I've only got 38 rounds of factory loaded 143gr ELD-X before switching to handloads.
                If you are on a smooth bench where the legs won't catch, you may not notice it so much, but in the dirt it is easier to do it.. Or just put your hand on the barrel and the forend and tweek it and see how much movement there is. Maybe they have improved them.

Comment

Not to be a contarian, but I have a Rem 700, '70's vintage 30-06 that shot like a dream with the original wood stock pressing right up against the left side of the barrel. It shot so good, MOA I decided to leave it alone.

Comment

You are not.
                    When you have a constant state of touching as with your 700, you are keeping your barrel harmonics the same...That doesn't surprise me.
                    I am talking about when you change your barrel harmonics it can effect POI.

Comment

Keep up the posts no time to hunt this year either.

Comment

The Harris bi-pod with the notched legs, and the swivel feature works awesome for the money.
                        For a rifle hunter the medium is the all around best.
                        For pure bench the BR version with the same notched legs and swivel feature.
                        There are better bi-pods and you can spend a lot more money, but the Harris will do you right for the money. Be careful of cheap knock offs. Many of them end up having issues-I would suggest buy once/cry once.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
                          The Harris bi-pod with the notched legs, and the swivel feature works awesome for the money.
                          There are better bi-pods and you can spend a lot more money, but the Harris will do you right for the money. Be careful of cheap knock offs. Many of them end up having issues-I would suggest buy once/cry once.
                          10-4 on the Harris bipod. Unfortunately, I don't have one.
                          Building AR's lately it's been a "what you can get your hands on" affair.
                          I've used UTG bipods...and you're right Ernie. Issues...but mine work...for the most part.
                          As long as they aren't collapsing during use, I can pretty much deal with minor deployment/retraction issues.

pighunter, I understand what you're saying about less to get hung up on brush, but also remember, you aren't facing charging Cape buff or elephants either.

Comment

do you fold the legs forward or rearward ?

Comment

Always forward for me

Comment

Always forward for me
                                And for me too.
                                You push forward slightly when you're shooting. Keeps legs from collapsing.
                                Bipods facing rearward folded up, REALLY get tangled up.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to $457,000........
                                  by Pmacc60
                                  Fitch of course it’s not different but Rock Rat wants to control the narrative . Problem with guys like this they have to be right , so they need to...
                                  Today, 08:30 AM
                                • $457,000........
                                  by bowhunter75richard
                                  The hypocrisy of government, and in this case biden ! The immigration issue at the Southern boarder which affects all citizens safety and protection,...
                                  Yesterday, 08:57 AM
                                • Reply to TGIF: Fired Up Friday
                                  by franchi20
                                  I saw her open for John Mellencamp. By the time she had done 3 songs, l had my admission price back and the rest of the night was gravy. I thought Janis...
                                  Today, 07:28 AM
                                • TGIF: Fired Up Friday
                                  by fitch270
                                  Easy one this week that should cover all kinds of styles.

Lighting it up with one from The Cult

”Fire Woman”...
                                  10-22-2021, 07:47 AM
                                • Reply to How come the Amish aren't all dead?
                                  by labrador12
                                  Very good summation of facts in this matter!

Let's GO Brandon!!!
                                  Today, 06:13 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X