Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rock rat
    replied
    A great read Honk, I should read more often over there. Glad to hear you went back to Africa.

Leave a comment:

• crm3006
    replied
    So, honk the phony returns, boring us with another of his long-winded (and probably false) tales of trials and tribulations. His plebeian ramblings are a sure sign of a person in the last stages of mental decline.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Sorry, been losing track of time lately. Seems to be going fast.
    Forgot to mention I had to drive back down to Minneapolis VA Hospital as soon as I got home with rebarrelled rifle. Needed another COVID test before the flight out. +6 hours each way. That was driving almost nonstop Saturday afternoon to early Sunday morning. The COVID test at the hospital here came back negative but only my first name was on the notice. No one could fix it till Monday morning... when I was to fly out.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
    Thanks for posting the links, Pighunter.

Otto/Bubba, you got yourself evicted from that site. I reported your behavior once when you first showed up but heard nothing back. And nothing changed. Eventually I guess others had enough of your childishness. HuntTalk has its share of immature lurkers but it is a very active site and it is moderated, albeit sparingly. There is a line clearly delineated in the Rules, although the moderator is usually quite tolerant. I've only seen a very few repeat flagrant offenders evicted. Big Fin and the rest of us over there desire a venue for sharing information about hunting and fishing ... with a little extra fun stuff thrown in for added entertainment. The key word there is "little." While his site continues to grow, this one continues to die. The reason is a lack of moderation has allowed F&S to go off the rails ... and into the toilet. HuntTalk is mostly about US West hunting but also contributors from AK, Canada, Europe, and Australia. It's a place for participants who want to expand their horizons. And it is generally friendly. This site has become generally unfriendly, and you all know why. Just look at this thread.
    Mr. Honk, you can't imagine just how little I care. 😎
    Last edited by FirstBubba; 09-11-2021, 02:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Don't put me in the geriatric ward just yet. I'm only 68 ... for a few more weeks anyway. I could write a book about the obstacles in my way. For example, in the four days before flying out I had to drive to Wisconsin and get my gun away from the so-called gunsmith who was supposed to rebarrel it. He gave it to me in four pieces. I drove to Minneapolis for COVID test at VA Hospital so I could get back across the border. Then drove through the night to border at Intl Falls, MN on the first day Canada opened its border. After waiting in line for nine hours in 90+ degree heat, I crossed the border and drove two more hours to my retired gunsmith African hunting buddy's place. He has sold his lathe and couldn't adjust the head space. So the next day I drove 2.5 hours further north to a retired machinist/gunsmith who finished the job. Then a seven hour drive arriving home late at night three days before departure. The next day I bedded the new barrel and finally got it to the range the day before leaving. It threw a great group so I packed it up with the double rifle I was taking over for the lodge owner. Those last five days I think I slept maybe seven hours total. But that little bit of grief with getting my rifle ready was only the tip of the iceberg. Getting the govt export paperwork when no one was working, vaccinated, three surgeries during lockdown, ... the list goes on. It was an ordeal, but worth it.
    Sorry, been losing track of time lately. Seems to be going fast.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Ernie View Post
    I was just curious, nothing more.
    When I go back, or if I go back, I will again go to Big Water Safaris in South Africa. I love the folks, there, and everything is spot and stalk or doing the sneaky sneak. I walked about 10-11 miles per day on average.
    I hesitate to drop names on here. Would rather that my friends over in SA not get contacted by some of the negative types on here claiming to be associated with me. Anyone interested can contact me directly and I'll give them the lodge's info.

My outfit was almost entirely spot and stalk. We did a lot of driving this time trying to locate the designated buffalo bull. He was quite elusive and the property is huge. All but the impala and warthog involved extensive walking (e.g. hartbeest was 18K day). Those two were taken the last two days essentially after I had filled my objective list. We were doing some sightseeing and those two were just too nice to pass up. The impala ram was all alone and almost toothless. It was time for him to go. Those two days I also culled two other old impala rams with poor horns (attached) to supply the ranch staff with meat, and a sick cow kudu that needed to be put down.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210825_150748.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	779989

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    Fantastic animals OHH.

Anyone, let alone a 70 year old going solo, that makes a trip to SA with all the insanity happening in the world right now deserves a tip of the hat.
    Don't put me in the geriatric ward just yet. I'm only 68 ... for a few more weeks anyway. I could write a book about the obstacles in my way. For example, in the four days before flying out I had to drive to Wisconsin and get my gun away from the so-called gunsmith who was supposed to rebarrel it. He gave it to me in four pieces. I drove to Minneapolis for COVID test at VA Hospital so I could get back across the border. Then drove through the night to border at Intl Falls, MN on the first day Canada opened its border. After waiting in line for nine hours in 90+ degree heat, I crossed the border and drove two more hours to my retired gunsmith African hunting buddy's place. He has sold his lathe and couldn't adjust the head space. So the next day I drove 2.5 hours further north to a retired machinist/gunsmith who finished the job. Then a seven hour drive arriving home late at night three days before departure. The next day I bedded the new barrel and finally got it to the range the day before leaving. It threw a great group so I packed it up with the double rifle I was taking over for the lodge owner. Those last five days I think I slept maybe seven hours total. But that little bit of grief with getting my rifle ready was only the tip of the iceberg. Getting the govt export paperwork when no one was working, vaccinated, three surgeries during lockdown, ... the list goes on. It was an ordeal, but worth it.
    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 09-11-2021, 11:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ernie
    replied
    I was just curious, nothing more.
    When I go back, or if I go back, I will again go to Big Water Safaris in South Africa. I love the folks, there, and everything is spot and stalk or doing the sneaky sneak. I walked about 10-11 miles per day on average.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Ernie View Post
    A lot of nice animals.
    Where were you hunting?
    What group or PH?
    South Africa again. PM me if you're interested in connecting with them.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Thanks for posting the links, Pighunter.

Otto/Bubba, you got yourself evicted from that site. I reported your behavior once when you first showed up but heard nothing back. And nothing changed. Eventually I guess others had enough of your childishness. HuntTalk has its share of immature lurkers but it is a very active site and it is moderated, albeit sparingly. There is a line clearly delineated in the Rules, although the moderator is usually quite tolerant. I've only seen a very few repeat flagrant offenders evicted. Big Fin and the rest of us over there desire a venue for sharing information about hunting and fishing ... with a little extra fun stuff thrown in for added entertainment. The key word there is "little." While his site continues to grow, this one continues to die. The reason is a lack of moderation has allowed F&S to go off the rails ... and into the toilet. HuntTalk is mostly about US West hunting but also contributors from AK, Canada, Europe, and Australia. It's a place for participants who want to expand their horizons. And it is generally friendly. This site has become generally unfriendly, and you all know why. Just look at this thread.

Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 09-11-2021, 10:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MoeStelzer
    replied
    Very nice animals. Great pics. I'm jealous.

Leave a comment:

• Pmacc60
    replied
    Great trip Honk , lots of nice animals ! Congrats

Leave a comment:

• Ernie
    replied
    A lot of nice animals.
    Where were you hunting?
    What group or PH?

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by Milldawg View Post

What I read was down right offense. So a guy asks a question. There were several who responded properly but there were some very rude answers. It just amazes me that people will act like. I just wonder if the aholes act like that in line at Walmart.
    I think it's the anonymity of the keyboard, but my experience on that site is a bunch of trolls looking for somebody to victimize. When you punch back, they run to "BigFinn" and whine.
    Enough whining and they close your account, whether you're right or wrong.

Several of the members are big shot lawyers that prefer to denigrate rather than educate.
    I figure if they feel like it's necessary to bully others, they must be shyster, two bit lawyers that didn't meet the requirements for a big city law firm and chase ambulances to try and keep the lights on.

p.s. - the question Honk asked, I thought, was relatively common knowledge.
    Honk is already known on the HintTalk site as a "know-it-all" that spends a lot of time tooting his own horn and quite often he ridicules others for their hunting/shooting methods if he doesn't agree with them.
    Last edited by FirstBubba; 09-09-2021, 12:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Milldawg
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Yeppers! Speak your mind and you get banned!
    I had been watching "Fresh Tracks" with Randy Newberg on Roku and thought, "Cool!".

It's chock full of "libtards" and they have a "report" button.
    You speak your mind, they "report" you.
    Newberg gets too many complaints, he closes your account.
    It's Newberg's "site" and he's a libtard too.
    Beware "BigFinn" rules with an iron fist.
    When ol' Honk figured out who I was, I figure he hit the report button on everything I posted with the goal of getting "BigFinn" to can me.
    What I read was down right offense. So a guy asks a question. There were several who responded properly but there were some very rude answers. It just amazes me that people will act like. I just wonder if the aholes act like that in line at Walmart.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad