Poachers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poachers

Watched "Gorillas in the Mist" on PBS the other night. If you haven't seen it, it's about Dian Fossey, the woman who studied and lived with mountain gorillas in Rwanda in the 60s and 70s; and also ended up in a bitter feud against the poachers who killed them for their paws and heads, as well as kidnapping the little ones for zoos.

Kinda makes the guy who jacks a couple deer every summer look like small potatoes -- though I'd still be the first to rope and hog-tie him if I caught him doing it.

Anyway, what's the poaching like in your neighborhood?

Do your wardens do the stings with the deer-dummies along the roads, stuff like that? I hardly ever see a warden at all in my area, much as I'm out all the time.

Had some local guides over the years who've gotten arrested for breaking game laws to get more for their clients -- I think that's one of the worst forms of it, right there.

Last edited by MattM37; 03-01-2021, 05:21 PM.

Originally posted by PigHunter

It's not going well. The neighborhood expansion ruined the squirrel and deer hunting. Chased off all the game except for those damned geese and they don't come around at night...
    Thanks PH, you just made my day.😁

Comment

Poaching?
      Not a healthy activity on the King Ranch.
      They take a VERY dim view of trespassers taking liberties with their livelihood!

In OK?
      One warden per county. Tough row to hoe.
      Feral pigs have taken quite a load off the deer population. I'm sure deer are still poached, but not as bad as you'd think.
      That mostly goes on over in eastern Oklahoma. Those folks grew up eating from the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter

It's not going well. The neighborhood expansion ruined the squirrel and deer hunting. Chased off all the game except for those damned geese and they don't come around at night...
        Guess I should have said "neck of the woods." But good one!

Comment

One place I hunt, is a working ranch. Activity keeps poachers confined to drive by night hunting, but a shot fired in that country at night will initiate at least a phone call, if not a personal response from an armed hand, land owner or possibly a LEO.
          The other place has three access roads, but all entries are in close proximity to an occupied dwelling. Either through our place, where you have to drive right by the house, through the north neighbor, who has a coded automatic gate, and my nephew lives right by the access road, or two miles to the west, where there is a locked gate and you have to know where you are going to access the property.
          The worst poaching activity used to come from the north west, where there was a genuine outlaw who walked in and would shoot, pack off, or damage anything in sight. I lost the solar panel and slinger to a deer feeder to him once. I have not heard of any activity on that place for years, the place changed hands, and we no longer use it, so really doesn't get down to the property I am concerned with.
          All in all, poaching activity is fairly light, if it is going on at all.

Comment

Matt37, Did you see in the Conservationist the moving of the Moose ? I have relatives in Clinton. I used to stop all the time at the bar pictured in the Snowmobile article.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              Matt37, Did you see in the Conservationist the moving of the Moose ? I have relatives in Clinton. I used to stop all the time at the bar pictured in the Snowmobile article.
              I haven't looked at a Conservationist in a while; I usually read it at the library during my lunch break, but they've been closed down. Just reopened though, and I'll check out that article.

Anytime someone mentions a bar in the Adirondacks, I think of that one along Rte. 28 with the tail-fin of an airplane on the roof. That's a classic.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

I haven't looked at a Conservationist in a while; I usually read it at the library during my lunch break, but they've been closed down. Just reopened though, and I'll check out that article.

Anytime someone mentions a bar in the Adirondacks, I think of that one along Rte. 28 with the tail-fin of an airplane on the roof. That's a classic.
                That is called the 'Wigwam'. Owner shot a 500lb bear right out back by the dumpster. If you go down the road across from the bar it comes out at the 'Buffalo Head. restaurant and next to it is another great restaurant. We ran snowmobiles all around there from the river to Old Forge.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad