• Show
Clear All

• Fat Cow-Meat for another year

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1827.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	5.42 MB
ID:	765906
    Despite appearances it's a cold day. Strong winds and temps in the 20s. Skin is off, now it's just a lot of work cutting it up.

Congrats Rat, you'll be eating like a king.

Comment

Congrats, buddy! I spared your population this past season and didn’t elk hunt. I think I have enough meat until Fall! Be well!

Comment

Elk is my favorite mammal to eat! Good job RR. A few more details if you would. Equipment, how the hunt went down, The Who's, what's, & where's if you would.

Comment

Just sent my address via private-message. Don't go overboard -- four or five pounds of steaks will be plenty, maybe half a backstrap, too, if there's room in the box. Thanks, man!

Congratulations, RR.

Comment

Congrats to you RR, your set now !

Comment

That's good stuff. Congrats!

Comment

Looks like a yearling cow. Should be very good eating. Those are ponderosa cones so she must not have been too high up. Easy to haul out I'm guessing.

Comment

Congrats Rock... that will be lots of great steaks.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                    Elk is my favorite mammal to eat! Good job RR. A few more details if you would. Equipment, how the hunt went down, The Who's, what's, & where's if you would.
                    It was on private land, my safety elk, and a good thing this year as all my units were closed due to fire.

Like a lot of pieces of private elk are hard, they aren't there for fifty days then they move across the land in half an hour, if you are there you might get a shot. It's different than having hundreds of miles of public, but the season lasts 6 months. We go after Thanksgiving when things are cold.

I'd heard they were in the area, went up and they were about to enter the land, when I parked I could see them in front of me already. I ran down and got a place where there is a good hill as a backstop and shot one from close as they were walking by. 45yds 180 grain 30 06 Barnes. I didn't even watch it after it fell, snuck back out and called buddy to get one. They spook when one falls but if the human is moving away they seem to settle down. Elk continued over the hill, then back the way they'd come from and off the land. Gone in 1 hour.

Buddy came up and we winched it onto back of pickup, hung in garage, butchered in kitchen. Cow had already had a calf, just finished lactating, teats but dry. Fairly good sized, I had no time to pick and choose, made sure it wasn't a spike or a calf that's all. bullet behind front leg, clipped tops of lungs and blood vessels there, out in front of front leg other side. Healthy. I didn't weigh the meat this year, usually around 200lbs.

Spent a lot of days since looking for that herd. I think they disappeared up into the National Park, hardly any snow here.

Usually all the elk gone, WAM cleans em out, none left for us locals. 😀

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad